The new municipal separate storm sewer system (MS4) permit became effective on January 1, 2023. The Highlands Council can provide grant funding and assistance to any Highlands municipality (regardless of conformance status) that will supplement available NJDEP funding to complete manay of the tasks involved in permit compliance. Additional information follows.
Highlands municipalities are eligible for grant funding to support the development and implementation of Stormwater Management Programs. Please contact Kelley Curran or your Highlands Council Liaison for more information.
- Model Scope of Work (SOW): Tier B to Tier A (pdf)
To request grant funding from the Highlands Council to support compliance with the 2023-27 MS4 permit for any Highlands municipality transitioning from Tier B to Tier A
- Model Scope of Work (SOW): Tier A (pdf)
To request grant funding from the Highlands Council to support compliance with the 2023-27 MS4 permit for any Tier A Highlands municipality.
Quick Guide: Navigating the MS4 Permit Changes in the Highlands (pdf)
Quick Start Steps
- Apply for NJDEP grant funding - Deadline is 12/31/23.
- Develop a timeline for completing permit requirements including all tasks, estimated costs and possible funding sources, keeping in mind that the Highlands Council can provide funding for any planning, design, and engineering work. (See NJDEP Deliverables Timeline for help)
- Contact your Highlands Council Liaison for additional information and guidance.
June 2021 - Regional Stormwater Management Planning for the Highlands
- Event Video (YouTube)
- Presentations (pdfs)
- Welcome and Agenda
Lisa J. Plevin, Highlands Council Executive Director; Kelley Curran, Senior Resource Management Specialist and Stormwater Planning Lea
- Highlands Regional Stormwater Management Planning
Dr. Christopher Obropta, Ph.D., P.E., Rutgers Cooperative Extension Water Resources Program
- Highlands Council Grant Funding
Herb August, Highlands Council Manager of Grants Administration
- Unlocking Green Infrastructure Financing
David Zimmer, NJ I-Bank, Executive Director
- Sustainable Jersey Tools to Advance your Reduction Action Plans
Anne Heasly, Sustainable Jersey, Program Manager of Policy and Planning
- Green Infrastructure in Bernardsville Borough
Dr. Kristi MacDonald, Director of Science, Raritan Headwaters Association
September 2019 - Mapping Your Municipal Stormwater Infrastructure