Skip to main content

Information on
Novel Coronavirus

Coronavirus is still active in NJ. Wear a mask. Keep a 6ft. distance in public

NJ Poison Control Center and 211 provide COVID-19 information: Call: 2-1-1; Call (24/7); 1-800-962-1253; Text: NJCOVID to 898-211; More Information:
COVID19 Alert NJDownload COVID Alert NJ app for free today.
Department of State

NJ Motion Picture & Television Commission

The Hon. Tahesha Way, Secretary of State

NJ Motion Picture & Television Commission Update

The physical office of the New Jersey Motion Picture and Television Commission may be closed due to a wider closure of State of New Jersey government offices, but WE WILL REMAIN OPERATIVE via phone and e-mail. During this uncertain time, please reach out to us via our e-mail address ( and staff members will respond either by e-mail or phone, as required. If your business or livelihood is being impacted by the COVID-19/Novel Coronavirus outbreak, please visit the following web site:

Pandemic Unemployment Assistance for the self-employed and independent contractors in New Jersey:


New Jersey contains 21 counties and 566 municipalities. Each city and town has its own unique regulations pertaining to film production. New Jersey Motion Picture and Television Commission staff members are well versed in these matters, and should be consulted before specific communities are approached.

As a rule, filmmakers working in New Jersey are required to carry general liability insurance in the amount of $1 million ($2 million in the City of Newark). Additional insurance may be required of crews using pyrotechnic effects or performing stunts. Typically, production companies are asked to present certificates of insurance naming property owners as "additional insured." Further, property owners must be relieved of all liability in connection with production work taking place on their respective locations.

Many cities and towns in the state have no formal permit procedure. However, permits are generally required for filming such locations as county, state and national parks and historic sites, state and county highways, railroad and airport terminals and military posts.

Child Labor

New Jersey Law requires that any company or individual producing a theatrical production which includes stage, motion picture and television performances and rehearsals with minors under age 18 years of age in New Jersey (even if said minors are unpaid) MUST obtain New Jersey Child Labor Permits. New Jersey Child Labor Permits are cost free, uncomplicated to obtain and can be procured quickly. Child labor permits or working papers from other states are NOT validin New Jersey and cannot substitute for New Jersey Child Labor Permits. If you are new to this process, we strongly advise that you contact The New Jersey Motion Picture Commission at 973-648-6279 and speak with a staff member before you begin to fill out any paperwork.

There are two types of permits:

  1. Emergent Permit – for film or theatrical productions utilizing minors for 1-2 days total. Please note, you may use this permit if you are filming with minors for more than 2 shoot days, as long as no individual minor works more than 2 of those production days. The New Jersey Department of Labor and Workforce Development requires two (2) working days advance notification (not includingholidays or weekends)prior to filming, or the performance of a theatrical production, in order to guarantee that requisite child labor permitswill be issued. For assistance with these permits contact the New Jersey Motion Picture & TV Commission at 973-648-6279.
  2. Formal Permit – for productions utilizing the services of a given minor or minors for 3 or more days (up to 3 months). For assistance with these permits contact the NJ Department of Labor at 609-292-7880.

Below you will find links to necessary forms and specific instructions for obtaining permits. The Motion Picture and Television Commission will gladly answer any questions and, when necessary, refer you to officials at the Department of Labor and Workforce Development. We are committed to ensuring the safety of minors working in New Jersey’s film and television industry, and dedicated to the success of your project.

Some Quick Facts:

Maximum Hours per day/week: Minors between the ages of 16 and 18 can work as long as 8 hours daily, 40 hours weekly, 6 days a week. Minors under 16 are permitted to be on set for a maximum of 8 hours daily and before the camera for a maximum of 5 of those hours, 24 hours weekly, 6 days a week. Combined hours of school and work must not exceed 8 hours daily. The minor’s travel time to and from set is not factored into their on-set time or work time. In the case of theatrical productions, where the performances are separable into discrete shows, the proposed employment of minor will not exceed two shows in a day or a total of eight shows in any given week.

When can a minor work? Unless a special waiver is granted by the Commissioner of Labor and Workforce Development, minors under 16 are prohibited from working before 7 a.m. or after 11:30 p.m. while minors between the ages of 16 and 18 are prohibited from working before 6 a.m. or after 11:30 p.m. The Commissioner of Labor and Workforce Development does not have the authority to alter or amend the total hours in the day during which a minor may work. Contact the Motion Picture and Television Commission for more information about obtaining a waiver of hours when night filming is required.

Minors under 16 must be accompanied at all times by an adult who is a parent, guardian or representative of the employer. There is no minimum age requirement for children working in motion pictures and television programs. A current statement based upon a physical examination issued by a licensed physician, that certifies that the minor is in good health and will not likely be endangered by the working conditions of the prospective employment, must be provided. For minors under 8 years of age, the physical examination must include a visual acuity screening if practicable. The use of infants and toddlers, however, should be further governed by an abundance of caution, common sense and good judgment.

Child Labor Law
NJ Child Labor Law abstract
Child Labor Law
Directions for obtaining Child Labor Permits
Obtaining Formal Theatrical Permits For Minors
Obtaining Emergent Theatrical Permits For Minors
A310 (For use with Formal Theatrical Permit only; minors under 16)
A300 (For use with Formal Theatrical Permit only; minors 16 and over)
NJ Theatrical Production Application


Special effects sequences, depending on their nature and scope, may require specific permits and/or permissions from the state, its counties or municipalities.

Effects using explosives must be performed by an effects coordinator who is LICENSED TO USE EXPLOSIVES IN THE STATE OF NEW JERSEY. Advanced inspection of a given site by the local utility companies may also be necessary in some cases.

Pyrotechnical effects must be performed in cooperation with local fire department officials, who may inspect designated location sites and materials to be used. In certain instances, permission from the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection must also be granted.


Although working automatic and semi-automatic weapons are illegal in New Jersey, provision has been made for the use of theatrical firearms of every variety. Written authorization must be obtained from the New Jersey State Police in order to use or transport such theatrical firearms in the state. Please send all requests via email to:

The Firearms Investigation Unit of the New Jersey State Police can be contacted at 609-882-2000 Ext. 2060, 2061, 2063, 2064 or 6617.

Out-of-state permits are not valid.

In addition, specific information about the firearms and the parties responsible for them must be provided to both the New Jersey State Police and to the local police in the jurisdiction where said weapons are to be used.

Consult the New Jersey Motion Picture and Television Commission for further information.

Registering To Do Business In NJ

New Jersey's Online Business Registration Service enables you to apply for a Federal Employer ID Number (FEIN) and register your business for taxes and employer contributions for unemployment and disability, online. You can also obtain temporary certificates of authority for sales tax online by registering at this site.

Click on the link below in order to fill out the electronic form:

Click on the link below to check the registration status of a business:


How To Receive A New Jersey Certificate of Authority

CALL 609-292-1730 for additional information.

In the state of New Jersey to receive a Certificate of Authority you must first have a Corporate ID # as well as a Federal Tax Id #. This can be obtained by first registering your business entity, and then registering for tax and employer purposes. After you have completed these:

" If you have indicated on your Application for Business Registration that you will be collecting sales tax, remitting use tax, or using New Jersey Exemption Certificates, the State of New Jersey will send you a New Jersey Certificate of Authority for sales tax. This is your permit to collect sales tax, and to issue and receive exemption certificates. The New Jersey Certificate of Authority must be displayed at your place of business."

  1. Go to
  2. Select Registrations – located under the "NJ Division of Revenue" header
  3. Select Registering Your Business
  4. On that page there will be a step 1 and a step 2
  5. **General partnerships and sole proprietors can skip step 1.**
  6. STEP 1 – Registering New Business Entities
  7. STEP 2 – Registering All Businesses for Tax & Employer Purposes
  8. Under step 2 click the word registration(which will be linked to allow you to register online)
  9. On that page click get started
  10. Then select register a Business Entity and click continue
  11. This is the first page in a series of three that will facilitate in obtaining the certificate
  12. PAGE 1: Fill in both 10 digit id as well as FEIN click submit
  13. PAGE 2: It will take you to another page – on that page hit "click here"
  14. PAGE 3: Gives you the NJ-REG Form
  15. On the NJ –REG form "Business Registration Application" Be sure to indicate that you will be collecting sales tax, remitting use tax, or using New Jersey Exemption Certificates- in order to receive your certificate.
  16. After the third page is completed and submitted the next page will take you to a confirmation screen
  17. Certificate of authority will be mailed

Taxes In NJ

The current Sales Tax rate is 6.625% and the specially designated Urban Enterprise Zones rate is one half the Sales Tax rate. Certain items are exempt from sales tax, such as food, clothing, drugs, and manufacturing/processing machinery and equipment. A resale exemption also exists. Learn more about the UEZ Program.

Hotel Room Occupancy Tax is 5%, but occupancies of 90 or more consecutive days are exempt.

The Workman's Compensation rate in New Jersey is currently 74 cents per 100 dollars of payroll. For more information, contact the Compensation Rating and Inspection Bureau at 201-622-6014.

For more specific information about New Jersey Tax Laws, contact the New Jersey Division of Taxation at 609-292-5995.

IMPORTANT: Please note that all production companies and associated vendors working in the State of New Jersey must register with the Division of Revenue and Enterprise Services (DORES) for tax purposes.

Information about this is available at:

If you need further information or have any questions, contact:

Luis Mayen
Division of Taxation
973-648-7182 (office)
609-306-2115 (cell)

Unions & Union Maps

Most of New Jersey falls under the jurisdiction of the unions and guilds based in New York City. They are as follows:

1900 Broadway 5th floor, New York, NY 10023, 212-944-1030
Directors Guild Of America
110 West 57th Street, New York, NY 10019, 212-258-0800
Writers Guild Of America East
250 Hudson Street, New York, NY 10013, 212-767-7800
IATSE General Office
207 West 25th Street, 4th Floor, New York, NY 10001, 212-730-1770/212-730-7809
IATSE Local 52, Studio Mechanics
19-02 Steinway Street, Astoria, NY 01105, 718-906-9440, Fax: 718-777-1820
IATSE Local 161, Script Supervisors, Production Office Coordinators, Production Auditors
630 9th Avenue, #1103, New York, NY 10036, 212-997-9655
IATSE Local 600, Cinematographers
70 West 36th Street, 2nd Floor, New York, NY 10018, 212-647-7300, Fax: 212-647-7317
IATSE Local 764, Theatrical Wardrobe
545 West 45th Street, 2nd Floor, New York, NY 10036, 212-957-3500
Editors’ Guild IATSE Local 700
145 Hudson Street Suite 201, New York, NY 10013, 212-302-0700/212-302-1091
IATSE Local 798, Makeup And Hair
70 West 36th Street Suite 4A, New York, NY 10018, 212-627-0660, Fax: 212-627-0664
American Federation Of Musicians, Local 802
332 West 48th Street, New York, NY 10036, 212-245-4802
International Brotherhood Of Teamsters, Local 817
817 Old Cuttermill Road, Great Neck, NY 11021, 516-365-3470, Fax: 516-365-2609
Scenic Artists, Local 829
29 West 38th Street, 15th Floor, New York, NY 10018, 212-581-0300, Fax: 212-977-2011
30 Mile Studio Zone Map 8 Mile SAG/AFTRA Zone Map

This map approximates the 30 mile zone from Columbus Circle, and is provided for reference purposes only. You must contact appropriate union officials in order to determine whether a particular location falls within the officially designated zone.

This map approximates the 8 mile zone from Columbus Circle, and is provided for reference purposes only. You must contact appropriate union officials in order to determine whether a particular location falls within the officially designated zone.




to top