to top
  • COVID-19 Information
COVID-19 is still active. Stay up to date on vaccine information. Visit:
COVID19 Alert NJDownload free COVID Alert app.

Division of Taxation

How to File

You should file electronically - either online or by phone (1-877-658-2972), unless you are required to file a paper application. See "When to File a Paper Application" under the "Filing Information for Homeowners" tab below.

The filing deadline for the ANCHOR Application - Tax Year 2019 - is January 31, 2023.

We send notifications that include the property ID and PIN when we begin accepting applications for the filing year. Most notices are sent by mail, but some are sent by email depending on the preference indicated when filing the prior year's application.

Allow two weeks from the date on the mailing schedule to receive the notification by mail or email.

Retrieve your ID and PIN Online

If you filed a 2018 Homestead Benefit last year for the same property you owned and occupied on October 1, 2019, access the online ID and PIN application to get your ID and PIN.

I cannot retrieve my ID and PIN online and it’s more than two weeks from the mailing schedule

You may contact the ANCHOR Hotline at 1-888-238-1233 or visit a Regional Information Center for help.

What You Need to File

You will need the assigned Identification Number and PIN of your principal residence (main home) you owned and occupied on October 1, 2019, to file by phone or online. Also, be prepared to provide your:

  • Valid taxpayer identification number and, if applicable, the taxpayer identification number of your spouse or civil union partner;
  • New Jersey gross income from Line 29 of your 2019 NJ-1040. (If you are not required to file an NJ-1040, report "0.");
  • 2019 filing status;
  • Date of birth and, if applicable, your spouse's/CU partner's date of birth.

You will also be asked if:

  • You owned the property with someone who is not your spouse/CU partner. If yes, what percentage did you own?
  • The property had more than one unit. If yes, what percentage of the property did you use as your main home?

Some homeowners must complete a paper application, Form ANCHOR-H, and file by mail or save and upload the form using our electronic filing system. Most homeowners filing paper applications will need to include supporting documentation to verify eligibility. See application instructions for proper enclosures.

Who must file a paper application?

You must file a paper application if:
  • You shared ownership of your main home with someone who was not your spouse/civil union partner and your percentage of ownership is not preprinted on your mailer.
  • Your main home was a unit in a multi-unit property that you owned.
  • You received an ANCHOR information mailer for the correct property, but the name on the mailer is not yours or needs to be changed due to marriage, death, etc.
  • You are a widow(er)/surviving civil union partner and your deed lists both your name and the name of your deceased spouse.
  • You are an executor filing on behalf of a deceased homeowner.
  • You occupied a newly constructed home on October 1 for which you did not receive an ANCHOR mailer with an Identification Number and PIN.
  • You are considered a homeowner for purposes of applying for the ANCHOR benefit, but you were not the actual owner of record on October 1.
  • You and your spouse/civil union partner maintained the same main home and require separate ANCHOR benefit payments.
  • You are filing for a property held in trust. (You are considered an eligible owner of a property owned by a trust if you are a beneficiary, or the deed or trust agreement explicitly states that you have a life estate in the property.)

How to get a paper application (Form ANCHOR-H)

You need the ID and PIN of the property you owned and occupied on October 1, 2019.
Log in to the online filing system using your ID and PIN. Choose the link to print the form.
You also have the option to file the form using the electronic filing system. You must save a copy of the completed ANCHOR-H to your device and upload the file using this system.
If you are unable to retrieve your ID and PIN to log in to the online system, contact the ANCHOR Hotline at 1-888-238-1233 or visit a Regional Information Center for help.

Where to mail the completed ANCHOR-H form with supporting documentation if necessary

ANCHOR Application
Revenue Processing Center
PO Box 636
Trenton, New Jersey 08646-0636

Last Updated: Friday, 11/18/22