Technician Management Information Systems
||Technician Management Information Systems
|Last Date for Filing:
||Open to Residents of:
||Ocean County Library
|Description of Jobs and Requirements:
(See Job Specification)
||Posting Title Identifier:
(State, Local, Unclassified)
GENERAL DESCRIPTION AND POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
MIS Technician - Polaris Support
The Ocean County Library is looking for a Technician, MIS to help support its new Polaris Integrated Library System. The library installed the Polaris ILS application in 2009 so the ideal candidate will be enthusiastic about installing new software, developing and conducting new training programs and developing new application support procedures. Potential near-future projects include: developing an efficient support platform for the new ILS; developing and enhancing a new SQL reporting Data Warehouse and various reporting interface programs to keep management informed of system usage and performance levels; developing training programs for both technology and staff. Great emphasis will be placed on usability and standards compliance as well as SQL Development and programming.
Under direction of a Senior MIS Technician, plans, conducts, and develops analytic reports and studies of existing operations and programs to determine feasibility of conversion to a data processing system; does other related duties as required.
- Coordinate all support activities affecting the Polaris application, managing the definition, scheduling, and execution of product
implementation and support, and developing and implementing new processes to streamline and maximize application product and
- Develop new reports and refine existing reports as necessary using SQL.
- Serve as the secondary point of contact for the Polaris ILS application.
- Communicate all information concerning the Polaris application to the appropriate people.
- Plan and conduct studies of operation relative to the development or revision of operational procedures.
- Conducts feasibility studies requiring detailed analysis of existing functions and preparation of cost estimates to determine
advisability of adopting data processing programs.
- Develops and participates in studies to determine effectiveness of programs, policies, methods, procedures, reports, and forms, and
recommends improved courses of actions.
- Participates in conferences with administrative officers and operating supervisors to discuss new or revised plans, programs,
procedures, reports, and results of evaluation studies.
- Assist in the preparation of schedules outlining essential steps to be taken in the installation of and/or conversion to data processing
- Prepares charts, programs, reports, and instructions to illustrate, explain, and implement data processing procedures and programs.
- Studies procedural difficulties and operating problems, and gives advice on their solutions.
- Appraises adequacy and efficiency of current data processing systems and the Polaris ILS and assists in developing the
organizational structure and methods required for performance of existing new and/or expanded functions.
- Tests and documents modifications and writes operator instructions.
- Checks program module coding to determine program deficiencies and corrects coding as necessary.
- Maintains production application programs/program modules as necessary.
- Makes approved changes by amending the program flow chart, developing detailed processing logic, and coding changes.
- Does other related word as directed by the Senior MIS Technician and/or Technology Management.
Technical Requirements (experience with or ability to learn the following is highly desired):
- Knowledge of and familiarity with electronic data processing equipment and its selection and application to specific operating
- Knowledge of procedures and techniques involved in making estimates and analyses of the capability of existing data processing
equipment and/or the degree of utilization made thereof.
- Knowledge of statistical methods and practices.
- Knowledge of principles of organization and management.
- Knowledge of SQL and other database related programming languages
- Knowledge of database support and SQL database development.
- Knowledge and experience in supporting Polaris ILS or other database applications.
- Knowledge of capabilities and programming techniques of a general purpose computer and peripheral equipment.
- Knowledge of analysis and correction of procedures and considerations involved in the planning, design, and implementation of a
data processing system.
- Ability to make studies to determine feasibility of using data processing techniques to improve operational procedures.
- Ability to organize and direct a conversion to a data processing system.
- Ability to prepare charts, programs, reports, and procedures.
- Ability to participate in conferences and present results of evaluations studies of present or new operational procedures effectively.
- Ability to estimate the cost of adapting or revising data processing methods.
- Ability to prepare clear, sound, accurate, and informative statistical, financial, and other factual reports containing findings,
conclusions, and recommendations.
- Ability to maintain essential records and files.
- Ability to express oneself clearly both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to utilize various types of electronic and/or manual recordings and information systems used by the library and all of its
branches, offices, and units.
- Ability to read, write, speak, understand, and communicate in English sufficiently to perform the duties of this position.
- Knowledge of data communications access methods.
- Knowledge of basic computer hardware.
- Knowledge of various database access methods such as index sequential, direct, and sequential.
See job specification for title code 53099.
INTERESTED CANDIDATES IN STATE, COUNTY OR MUNICIPAL GOV'T SHOULD FORWARD A COVER LETTER AND RESUME TO:
Jennifer Doderer, Training Coordinator
Ocean County Library
101 Washington Street
Toms River, NJ 08753