Are youth driven forums, made up of current and former foster (ages 18-22) youth, that promote leadership and advocacy skills:
- 15 Youth Advisory Boards (YABs) represent youth in all 21 counties.
- Provide input and feedback on how to improve DCF policy, procedures and services.
- Present issues of concern and possible solutions twice a year to the Commissioner, the DCF Executive Staff and CP&P Senior Staff.
- Participate in skill building activities such as public speaking, training, planning and participation in community service projects.
- Bi-weekly meetings with transportation and food provided.
- Executive YAB members are paid!
- Quarterly Statewide Meetings with all 15 boards.
For contact and further information please visit New Jersey Youth Resource Spot (www.njyrs.org).
For more information, contact your local Youth Advisory Board Coordinator:
The Division of Children's System of Care supports similar advocacy and peer leadership groups for young people who identify as having mental health challenges and/or receive services through CSOC. They are sponsored by their local Family Support Organization in each county/region. The FSO contact information can be found at http://www.nj.gov/dcf/families/support/support/