The Office works to improve the quality of health care in New Jersey by developing data and producing reports that can be used by consumers, health care providers, policy makers and regulators.
What the Office does:
A web site is maintained for health care professionals to share best practices, meeting notices and quality improvement tools.
- Healthcare-Associated Infections: This site is designed to provide hospitals with background information and requirements for submitting this information to the Department, thereby fulfilling the law’s mandatory reporting requirements. It also includes relevant information for consumers.
- Hospital Patient Care Staffing: Manage the reporting system for hospital direct care staffing ratios and prepare quarterly reports for the public.
- Nursing Home Nurse Staffing Report: Manage the web-based daily Nurse Staffing Reporting System, and prepare Quarterly Summary Statistics for the public to view, as required by law.
- Stroke Services: Monitor the quality of services provided to acute stroke patients through analysis and reporting of patient level data collected from hospitals.
- Cardiac Services: Monitor the quality of cardiac surgery and cardiac catheterization services through a mandatory hospital data reporting system. Produce consumer and technical reports on open heart surgery and cardiac catheterization.
- Hospital Quality: Manage the data reporting system on hospital quality. Produce the New Jersey Hospital Performance Report, both in print and on the web. Interactive web site allows users to compare individual hospitals and find other consumer information.
- Patient Safety: Manage the state’s medical error reporting system and support hospital efforts to make patient care safer. Report on the steps hospitals take to find and correct the root causes of errors.
- Quality Indicator Measures (QIs): Reports on the health care quality-indicator measures in New Jersey. These health care quality-indicator measures are derived from hospital discharge data by applying the Agency for Health Care Research and Quality (AHRQ) Quality Indicators (QIs) modules. The reports are: Inpatient Quality Indicators (IQIs), Prevention Quality Indicators (PQIs), Pediatric Quality Indicators (PDIs), and Patient Safety Indicators (PSIs).
- Bariatric Surgery: Examines trends and outcomes of bariatric surgeries in New Jersey hospitals using hospital discharge data. The report includes basic statistics on the bariatric surgery population including gender distribution, age distribution, health insurance status, and selected outcomes.
- Hospital Discharge Data and Reports: Collect data and produce reports on the approximately 1.1 million in-patient admissions and 2.4 million emergency room visits in New Jersey each year.