The State of New Jersey
NJ Department of Banking and Insurance

Home > Banking Division > Banking Licensees > Check Casher License > FAQs
Frequently Asked Questions - Check Casher

How long does it take to process an application?

A properly completed application will be processed within 90 days of receipt. NOTE: Applications that are submitted with incorrect fees and/or applications that do not contain a certified survey (see instructions) will be returned without review.

2. What is required to obtain the license?
All information as to how to apply for a license is contained in the instructions.  Be aware of the special instructions for Check Cashers and use them as a checklist to ensure a properly completed application.

3. When does the license expire?
All licenses that are initially issued anytime between July 1, 2017 and June 30, 2019 will expire on June 30, 2019.  Thereafter, all licenses will be subject to renewal for a 2-year term beginning on July 1 of an odd year and expiring on June 30 of the following odd year, i.e. July 1, 2019 through June 30, 2021.

4. How can I get a copy of the law governing this license?
See Frequently Requested Documents, which lists the cost of copies of the statutes and send remittance with request to the address provided.

5. Are there specific requirements for the office location in New Jersey to be used for the conduct of business?
Yes. Please refer to the Special Instructions for a complete list of requirements, but NOTE that no new check casher applicant can locate within 2,500 feet of any existing licensed check casher principal office, branch office or approved stop for a mobile check cashing office. There are NO EXCEPTIONS.

6. How do I determine where existing check cashers are located in the community where I wish to open an office?
You should contact the Licensing Services Bureau by fax at (609) 633-0822 or by e-mail at and request a listing of existing licensed check cashers as well as any pending check casher applicants.  The request MUST include the name of the municipality and the name of the county in which you are interested.  Please provide a return mailing address for receipt of the listing(s).  

7. Can I pay the application fee by credit card?
Currently, credit card payments are not permissible.

8. What if my application is withdrawn or denied?
All fees paid are non-refundable.

9. What is the procedure if I change my licensed business address?

  • Complete the Request for Change of Legal Name or Address form found on our web site
  • Enclose a copy of the deed, lease or rental agreement for the new business location – Note: The agreement MUST BE executed between the licensee and the landlord/property owner. If a sublease is involved, there MUST BE written evidence of the landlord's knowledge and acceptance of the subleasing arrangement
  • Provide a written physical description of the location to be licensed
  • Provide photographs, two interior and two exterior, of the location to be licensed
  • Provide evidence of compliance with local zoning requirements, specifically identifying that a check cashing operation may be located at the proposed site, in the form of a letter from the local zoning officer
  • Identify any other businesses being conducted or intended to be conducted at the office location to be licensed. Note: N.J.S.A.17:15A-47(f) states that a check casher is prohibited from engaging in business other than a business which primarily provides financial services at an office or mobile office. The statement providing this information must be notarized and must fully describe the nature and scope of any other businesses and how such other businesses will be physically separated from the proposed check cashing business.
  • Enclose a certified survey demonstrating that the proposed location is NOT within 2,500 feet of any other existing licensed check casher principal or branch office location – Note: Documentation MUST clearly state that there are NO check cashing offices within 2,500 feet
  • Return the above items to the Licensing Services Bureau, NJDOBI

10. What is the procedure to change a licensed business name?

  • Complete the Request for Change of Legal Name or Address form found on our web site
  • Enclose a copy of the amended Certificate of Incorporation, if a corporation; a copy of amended certificate of formation, if a limited liability company; a copy of amended or new trade name certificate, if a partnership or sole proprietorship; an amended Certificate of Authority to do Business in New Jersey, if a foreign corporation; a copy of Registration of Alternate Name, if adding a "doing business as" name
  • Return the above items to the Licensing Services Bureau, NJDOBI

11. How do I obtain a duplicate license?
Please e-mail to request a license reprint.

12. What is required to complete a change of control of direct ownership of the licensed business (25% or more)?

  • Complete a Change of Control application
  • Enclose a copy of the stock purchase agreement if a corporation or agreement to purchase ownership interest if a limited liability company, as well as any other documents evidencing the change in ownership - Note: Partnerships and sole proprietorships cannot file changes of control - New application is required
  • Enclose a copy of the corporate resolution or amended limited liability operating agreement showing the termination of officer/director/member positions and the appointments of new officers/directors/members
  • Enclose completed personal certifications for each new officer, director, member and substantial stockholder/owner (owning more than 10% of stock/ownership interest)
  • Return the above items to the Licensing Services Bureau, NJDOBI
13. How do I renew my license?
Renewal instructions will be sent to you on or before April 1 of the year in which your license expires.

14. What must I do if I go out of business?
Please contact requesting information about the surrender procedure.

15. Must I license my employees?
Employees of a check cashing business are NOT required to be licensed. However, all check casher employees MUST be fingerprinted and must submit certain documentation in connection with their employment.  Check casher employees must submit a Personal Certification, a 2” X 2” passport-style photograph and evidence of the completion of the fingerprinting process in the form of a receipt from the fingerprinting vendor and a completed Universal Form. See fingerprinting information.

16. What if I change the legal style of the business?
This change is treated as a name change initially.  We require that the company file a confirmation of the company’s Federal Employment Identification Number (“FEIN”) from the Internal Revenue Service within 30 days of the legal style change.  The company will be required to submit a new application if the FEIN changes.

17. Is the license transferrable?
No.  A license may not be transferred from one entity to another.

18. How can I contact DOBI if I have a question that was not answered above?
You can put your question in writing and fax it to us at (609) 633-0822 or by e-mail to

OPRA is a state law that was enacted to give the public greater access to government records maintained by public agencies in New Jersey.
Adobe Acrobat
You will need to download the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader in order to correctly view and print PDF (Portable Document Format) files from this web site.
state seal
Copyright © 2011, State of New Jersey
New Jersey Department of Banking and Insurance