Guidance for Teacher Preparation Programs
The New Jersey Department of Education (NJDOE) and the Deans and Directors of educator preparation programs are working in partnership to address concerns caused by COVID-19 school closures while ensuring that every student, school, and district will have access to well-trained educators and educational services providers. One of our highest priorities as a Department is to be supportive and responsive to the field as we navigate this unprecedented and unpredictable situation.
Instructional Clinical Practice
All approved Certificate of Eligibility with Advanced Standing (CEAS) programs are designed to meet clinical requirements set forth in N.J.A.C. 6A:9A-4.4. In short-term emergency situations, Educator Preparation Programs (EPPs) should prioritize the safety and wellness of their teacher candidates and have the discretion to adjust the schedule and make other accommodations to provide candidates an opportunity to meet clinical requirements.
EPPs have the discretion to make necessary accommodations for candidates impacted by school closures. For example, candidates may complete the requirement in an alternative placement or procedures may be established for returning candidates to earn hours in the following semester. For candidates in their final semester of the program, EPPs also have the discretion to determine appropriate activities, assignments, and/or alternate (virtual/distant) placement necessary to satisfy the clinical component of the program.
- The state has not waived clinical requirements for instructional or non-instructional preparation programs
- Each educator preparation program has the discretion to make necessary accommodations for candidates impacted by school closures to satisfy the clinical component of the program. For example:
- procedures may be established for returning candidates to earn additional clinical hours in the following semester
- alternative activities or assignments may be provided
- alternate (virtual/distant) placements may be allowed
- The educator preparation programs are responsible for communicating decisions made about clinical requirements of the program to candidates
Candidate questions regarding COVID-19’s impact on program completion and certification may be directed to educator preparation programs or email@example.com.