Frequently Asked Questions


Answers in specific subject areas are available by clicking on the following links or you may scroll down to view all frequently asked questions:

Address changes
Driving records (abstracts)
Insurance surcharges
License plates

Address changes

How do I change my address?

The MVC provides an online service to change your address; there is no charge for this service.  An email address is required.


How many points on my driver license will suspend my driving privilege?

Your driving privileges will be suspended once you accumulate 12 or more points on your license.

How are points deducted?

If you go one year (from the date of the most recent violation) without any points or violations, three points will be deducted from your license. See point deductions.

Can points be taken away to reduce my surcharge?


Driving records (abstracts)

How can I get a copy of my driving record?

You may request a certified copy of your driver history abstract (driver record) online, send a request through the mail; or you may visit a full service motor vehicle agency.

You will need to complete an Application for Driver History Abstract (Form DO-21).

A $15 fee will apply for each record request.


How can I get a duplicate or family registration?

You must visit a motor vehicle agency for this transaction. The fee for a duplicate or family registration is $5.

How do I register my vehicle?

You must visit a motor vehicle agency for this transaction. See registration for additional details regarding new and pre-owned (used) vehicles in preparation for your agency visit.

You will need to complete a Vehicle Registration Application (Form BA-49).

How do I register a motorboat?

You must visit a motor vehicle agency for this transaction. See boat registration for additional details in preparation for your agency visit.

Why don't I receive a registration renewal application in the mail for my leased vehicle?

Renewal applications are mailed to the owner of the vehicle. The owner of a leased vehicle is the leasing company. The renewal application is mailed directly to them approximately 60 days prior to expiration of the current registration. Your leasing company should mail you the renewal application properly stamped and signed by a company officer. Contact your leasing company if you do not receive your application.


What are the hours of operation?

Each Agency has regular hours of operation. Check hours and locations for specific information on the hours of operation in regards to the specific services available.

Can I pay by check or credit card?

For your convenience, the MVC accepts American Express® card, MasterCard®, Visa® card, Discover card, checks, money orders and cash at agency locations.

Insurance surcharges

I moved out-of-state. Do I still have to pay the surcharge bill?

If you move out-of-state, you still need to pay all surcharges assessed for offenses that occurred while you were a New Jersey motorist. If your driving privilege is suspended, action will be filed in court to collect any unpaid assessments.

How do I know if MVC received my surcharge payment?

To confirm receipt of your surcharge payments, call (888) 651-9999 from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. weekdays..

Which date do insurance companies use to assess surcharges (the event date or the posting date)?

Insurance companies use the posting date to assess surcharges.


How do I satisfy a "failure to appear" suspension on my record?

Follow the instructions on the back of your Scheduled Order of Suspension.

Why doesn't the MVC return my driver license after my suspension period is finished?

For security purposes, the MVC no longer maintains paper files.

When a driver license is surrendered due to suspension, a notation is made on the driver history abstract and the actual document is destroyed.

You will receive a Notice of Restoration once the suspension period is completed.

Can I fax my court receipt, hearing request and clearance letter request to MVC?

Call (609) 292-7500 to speak to an authorized representative for assistance.


I lost my license. How can I get a new one?

You must visit a motor vehicle agency for this transaction.  See Lost or Stolen licenses for more details in preparation for your agency visit.

How do I get a Graduated Driver License (GDL)?

There is a special process to be followed; see Graduated Driver License for detailed information.

How do I apply for a motorboat operator license that is required for non-tidal waters?

You must be at least 16 years old to apply. See Motorboat license for detailed information.

Does New Jersey have a work license?

No. New Jersey does not provide conditional or work licenses.

A family member is deceased. What do I do with their license, ID Card and/or renewal application?

Please send the license, ID Card and/or renewal application with a copy of the death certificate to:

New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission

Driver Management Correspondence Unit

P.O. Box 134

Trenton, NJ 08666-0134.


How can I get a duplicate Certificate of Ownership (title)?

If there is no lien on the vehicle, you can request a duplicate title at a motor vehicle agency .

You must complete an Universal Title Application (Form OS/SS-UTA); the form is available at the agencies and online.

A $60 fee will apply.

You may also submit a request through the mail:

New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission
Special Title Unit
P.O. Box 017
Trenton, NJ 08666-0017

What is required if I received a vehicle as a gift?

The titled owner (seller) must enter "gift" as the sale price on the New Jersey title. If the information on the title appears to be changed or altered, the MVC may require additional documentation. Visit the NJ Division of Taxation website for details on motor vehicle casual sales notices.

License plates

How can I get a set of replacement license plates?

You can go to a motor vehicle agency to get a pair of non-personalized replacements for standard issued plates. Single plates are not available.

You must show your current registration and ID.  A fee will apply: $6 fee for standard plates and $11 for non-personalized specialty plates.

These plates will carry new numbers and letters and are accompanied with a new replacement plate registration

How do I get a set of replacement plates exactly like my old ones?

You can get a pair of identical license plates specially made so long as they are reflectorized. An $11 fee will apply. . "Amateur Radio Operator" plates cost $15 to replace.

You must complete the Application for Remaking an Existing Plate (Form SP-89).  This form is available online; you may also request a be sent to you through the mail calling the MVC's Customer Support Line at 609-292-6500 weekdays (except holidays) from 8:30 a.m. to 4:15 p.m.

Mail the completed package to:


New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission
Special Plate Unit
P.O. Box 015
Trenton, NJ 08666–0015

How do I obtain a license plate or placard for a person with a medically certified permanent loss of mobility?

To apply for plates or a placard, complete the Wheelchair Symbol Plate and Placard Application and visit a motor vehicle agency to complete the transaction. There is no additional charge for wheelchair symbol plates or placards..

A copy of the vehicle registration must be included with plate applications. Refer to the Wheelchair Symbol Plate and Placard Checklist to avoid processing delays.

Applicants without a license or non-driver identification card must prove identity by meeting the 6 Points of ID Verification requirements.

You may also mail the application to:

New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission

Special Plate Unit
PO Box 015
Trenton, NJ 08666-0015

Note: Wheelchair Symbol plates cannot be issued for vehicles owned by or leased to companies, organizations or groups

How do I obtain a license plate or placard for a person with a temporary loss of mobility?

A motorist who has temporarily lost mobility (and is medically certified) can obtain a temporary placard from their local police department for a $4 fee. It is valid for six months and may be renewed only once. See temporary parking placards.

How can I get special license plates?

See specialty plates.

I want to support my alumni on my license plates. How can I get specialty ones like these?

See specialty plates for information.