IFTA Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)


If I never leave New Jersey, do I need IFTA?


If I have IRP, do I need IFTA?

IRP plates indicate that you need an IFTA decal, but it does not have to match the state indicated on your plates.

If I cancel my IFTA account, does that also cancel my IRP account?

No, you would need to also notify the IRP unit if you wish to cancel your IRP account. Call 609-633-9400, option # 1.

If I renew before December 31st, can I apply the new decal to my vehicle?

No! The decal year begins on January 1st and runs through December 31st.


Can all fuel purchased be claimed?

No, you can only claim fuel used for vehicles that travel over the roadways. Machinery fuel must be extracted from the totals.

If I have a current decal, do I file a tax return?

Yes, you must file all four (4) quarters.

If I close my business, do I need to file IFTA tax returns?

Yes, you are still responsible to file up to all four (4) quarters (depending on what date you close the business).

If I file even a day late, do I have to pay a penalty?

Yes, unless the due date falls on a legal holiday. If the due date is a Saturday, Sunday or legal holiday, the next business day is considered the due date. The date that the tax return is paid in full is the filing date.

Is there a penalty if I file an amended return after the due date?

Yes. If you file an amended return after the due date, it is considered late, and penalties and interest must be included in the payment.