Home Care Service Agency Placards

New Jersey law (N.J.S.A. 39:4-207.11) permits use of parking placards for employees of qualified home care service agencies while performing their duties. The placard allows an employee to park on streets or overnight parking normally reserved for municipal residents, in college/university parking lots, and at metered parking without payment (up to 24 hours). Placards cannot be used for parking in PWAD (Person with a Disability) labeled parking spots.

  • Eligible home care service agencies must:

    • be licensed, such as by the Department of Health or registered with the Division of Consumer Affairs
    • have employees who include nurses, nurses’ aides, homemaker-home health aides, personal care assistants, physical therapists, occupational therapists, speech-language pathologists, social workers, or hospice care workers

    NOTE: Placards may be issued only for direct employees of home care service agencies. A contractor who is not employed by a home care service agency is not permitted to receive or use a parking placard issued to that agency.

Strict adherence to N.J.S.A. 39:4-207.11 governing placard use is mandatory.

  • Placards are for use only while the vehicle is parked when employees render service.
  • An employee misusing a placard will be subject to a fine of $250 for a first offense.
  • Additionally, the court may impose a fine of $250 and 90 days of community service for each subsequent offense. 


Please consult N.J.S.A. 39:4-207.11 for all penalties that may be imposed for violations to this statute.


  • Placards cost $50 each with a $20 renewal fee every two years.
  • The placard will display the employee’s name and the home care service agency.
  • Placards will be distributed to employees by the home care service agency.
  • Placards are not transferable; home care service agencies are subject to a fine of $100 for failure to return the placard of a terminated employee.
  • Lost or stolen placards will not be reissued; if lost or stolen, a new placard must be purchased for an additional $50.
  • Home care service agencies are responsible for keeping detailed records of employee placard assignment/status; these records are subject to audit by the Commission at any time.

For home care service agencies wishing to apply, an Application for Home Care Service Agency Placard must be completed by a home care service agency account representative.  Photocopies of the following must be included with the application:

  • Home care service agency license, such as that issued by the Department of Health or Division of Community Affairs
  • Employees’ driver license for whom placards will be issued

If the home care service agency does not already have an established MVC-issued entity identification number (EIN), also known as a “Corp Code”, an NJMVC EIN Application with all required documents must be submitted with the completed placard application. Placard applications will not be processed for home care service agencies without an EIN.
Any false information deliberately provided may subject the applicant to a fine of up to $1,000 and possible prosecution.
Applications are to be submitted by mail. Send a complete, signed application with required photocopies and a check/money order to:
Business Licensing Services
Home Care Service Agency Placard Applications
P.O. Box 170
Trenton, NJ 08666-0170
Be sure to confirm the check/money order totals the amount of all placards/renewals being requested. Incorrect amounts or dishonored checks may result in denial of the application.