Refund & Payment Policy

Refund Information

The information listed below outlines instances when the NJMVC can issue a refund. Please thoroughly review
the information below. Only apply for a refund if you meet the criteria under “Refundable Transactions.”
All refund requests must be submitted with proper documentation and this Refund Application.

Disputed Transactions

If a dishonored payment is made or payment is disputed, NJMVC will charge a $25 fee and void out thetransaction in question, pursuant to N.J.S.A. 39:5-36.1.

Refundable Transactions

  • Customers may only apply for a refund for the following Refundable Transactions 60 days after the date of theinitial transaction: (certain exemptions apply)
    • Fees were paid twice for the same document/transaction.
    • Overpayment of a registration fee applicable to Pharmaceutical Assistance to the Aged and Disabled (PAAD), Lifeline, or SSI recipient.

Exemptions (specially authorized refundable transactions beyond 60 days):

  1. Refund of registration fee for members of military- for the number of full months remaining on the registrationperiod for which the vehicle will not be operated on the public roadways of this or any state if the registrationcertificate and plates are surrendered (N.J.S.A. 39:3-22.1) (Does not apply to spouses).
  2. If a commercial motor-drawn vehicle registered for a four-year period is sold or withdrawn from use on thehighways, the Chief Administrator may, upon surrender of the vehicle registration and plates, refund $16 for eachfull year of unused prepaid registration (N.J.S.A. 39:3-20).
  3. Refund of a fee if the application for a road crossing permit is denied or the number of permitted vehicles isreduced by the NJMVC (N.J.S.A. 39:3-26.4).
  4. Over-dimensional or overweight vehicle if the permit is canceled before the first day of travel identified on thepermit (N.J.A.C. 13:18-1.6) -Contact New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) at 609-963-2085
  5. International Registration Plan (IRP) if error by the NJMVC, error by the registrant on mileage application, or anaudit shows overpayment (N.J.A.C. 13:18-2.7) -Contact IRP unit at 732-736-5699.
  6. Refund for accumulated credit for IFTA fuel taxes paid on fuel, within the two-year period beginning with the endof the reporting period from which the credit was derived (N.J.A.C. 13:18-3.10) (Contact IRP).
  7. Overpayment for IFTA tax within four years after payment of tax (N.J.A.C. 13:18- 3.18) - Contact IRP unit at 609-633-9400.


  • Complete this Refund Application
  • Gather proper documentation as described below for the refundable transaction:
    • NJMVC receipt
    • NJMVC document issued
    • Credit card used for transaction with credit card statement showing the transaction (if applicable)
    • Government issued photo ID
    • If two different forms of payment were used, must provide documentation for each
    • Proper proof of being a PAAD, Lifeline, or SSI discount recipient

    Note: Photocopies of supporting documents are accepted via mail; originals are needed for same-day refunds
    issued at an NJMVC Agency.

    All others must submit required documentation to:

    NJMVC Refund Unit
    225 E. State Street
    PO Box 403
    Trenton, NJ 08666-0403
    Telephone (609) 292-6500 ext. 5075

    Note- Sales tax refunds for vehicle titles are only handled by:

    NJ Division of Taxation
    50 Barrack Street
    Trenton, NJ 08646
    Telephone (609) 292-6400