top navigation graphic
OPRA Central graphic
main navigation graphic about GRC state request form state activities index state agency web index state faqs
OPRANJ [OPRA central] grc home njhome
About GRC
OPRA Reference Material
Public Information
EO26 Details

Completing an On-line OPRA Records Request

This form may be used to request access to government records electronically. What follows is assistance and instructions on helping you complete the form so the records custodian will be able to promptly  respond to your request. These instructions are also available in PDF format.

Determine the State Department, Division or Agency that has the record

It is very important that you have determined what record(s) you are seeking and that you have determined which department or agency can help you. A State records custodian can only respond to a request for specific records. Click here for information to search for departments or agencies. A request to an incorrect agency is not considered a valid request and OPRA rights would not apply.

Provide Contact Information

To assist the custodian in fulfilling your request, we may need to contact you for additional information about the record(s) you are requesting, to advise you of any fees, to tell you when they will be available, or to advise you if the record(s) you request cannot be disclosed. The form has room for your name, address, phone number, or your e-mail address. Please fill in enough information so the agency custodian can contact you. If you do not provide enough information, your request may be denied. If you want us to contact you by phone, please put in your number and the best time to contact you during business hours.

Delivery of Information

Please tell us how you would like us to send you the information. There will be an additional fee for delivery service.

Convicted of an Indictable Offense

All requesters must certify that they have not been convicted of a crime in New Jersey, any other state, or of the United States. If you have not been convicted, check no. If you have been convicted and you are requesting personal information, you may be required to provide information about your victim and their families before the request will be fulfilled.

Payment Information

If there is a charge to provide copies or access to records, the custodian will contact you to arrangement for payment before the request will be fulfilled. Agencies have different policies concerning deposits and pre-payments. Check the agency's OPRA page to find out more or how to obtain this information.

Records Request Information

Please clearly identify the record(s) you are seeking. Be certain to include all information that may be necessary for the custodian to fulfill the request. To make sure you have this information, visit the OPRA web page of the agency to find out what information may be required. Your request will not be considered complete (and the seven business day response period will not start) until the custodian has enough information to fulfill the request. Click here for information on how to locate records in agencies.

Please remember that there is certain information that public agencies may not disclose. This has particular reference to personal information, information related to domestic security, and other records. Exceptions to disclosure can be found in Appendix A and Appendix B of the Handbook For Records Custodians.

The records custodian of the agency from which you are requesting records must notify you within seven business days of receipt of the request that it grants or denies access to a government record. If the record requested is not promptly available or is in storage, the custodian must notify the requester when the record will be made available. If the custodian fails to respond within seven business days, the request is deemed a denial of access.

Challenging Denial of Access

If your request for access to government record has been denied, you have the right to challenge the custodian's denial by filing a complaint in Superior Court or filing a complaint with the Government Records Council (GRC). The Council can also assist in resolving questions about a denial of access. You can contact the GRC online by visiting their website at, by e-mail at, by mail at PO Box 819, Trenton, NJ 08625, or call them on their toll-free phone number, 866-850-0511.

privacy notice | legal statement
Updated: 11/07/2022