1. Do I need this license if I only deal in cash installment payments over a period of 90 days or accept credit card payments?
No, you are not required to obtain this license. NOTE: All home contractors, regardless of payment method must contact the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs concerning required registration. You can obtain information by calling 1-888-656-6225 or at www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/hic/Pages/default.aspx.
2. How long does it take to process an application?
A properly completed application will be processed within 30 days of receipt.
3. What is required to obtain the license?
All information as to how to apply for a license is contained in the instructions.
4. When does the license expire?
All licenses that are initially issued anytime between July 1, 2013 and June 30, 2015 will expire on June 30, 2015. Thereafter, all licenses will be subject to renewal for a 2-year term beginning on July 1 of an odd year and expiring on June 30 of the following odd year, i.e. July 1, 2015 through June 30, 2017.
5. How can I get a copy of the law governing this license?
See Frequently Requested Documents, which lists the cost of copies of the statutes and send remittance with request to the address provided.
6. Must I have an office location in New Jersey for the conduct of business?
Yes. Note that a home repair contractor can use their (New Jersey) residence as the place of business.
7. What must I do to use a residence as my place of business?
You must provide a copy of the deed, lease or rental agreement, whichever applies, and copies of a letter to the post office and telephone company stating that the residence is used to conduct home repair business.
8. Can I pay the application fee by credit card?
Currently, credit card payments are not permissible.
9. What if my application is withdrawn or denied?
All fees paid are non-refundable.
10. What is the procedure if I change my address?
Complete the Request for Change of Legal Name or Address form found on our web site.
11. What is the procedure if I change the business name or add an alternate name?
Complete the Request for Change of Legal Name or Address form found on our web site. Enclose a copy of the amended Certificate of Incorporation, if a corporation; a copy of the amended Certificate of Formation, if a limited liability company; a copy of the amended or new trade name certificate, if a partnership or sole proprietorship; a copy of the amended Certificate of Authority to do business in New Jersey, if a foreign corporation; a copy of the Registration of Alternate Name, if adding a "doing business as" name.
12. What must I do if my license is lost or destroyed?
Please e-mail email@example.com to request a license reprint.
13. When do I file the annual report?
All annual reports are due by May 1. They can be filed online.
14. How do I renew my license?
Renewal instructions will be sent to you on or before April 1 of the year in which your license expires.
15. What must I do if I go out of business?
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org requesting information about the surrender procedure.
16. Must I license my home repair salespersons?
All salespeople who are writing retail installment agreements on the goods or services provided must be licensed as a Home Repair Salesperson. (Please see the Home Repair Salesperson application).
17. Do home repair salespersons have to file an annual report?
No, only the licensed home repair contractor must file an annual report.
18. What must I do if a home repair salesperson is terminated or quits?
The home repair contractor must surrender the salesperson license to DOBI.
19. If I do not have any employees, must I still maintain workmen’s compensation insurance?
The law requires all home repair contractors to obtain and maintain workmen’s compensation coverage as a condition of getting this license.
20. What type of insurance must I maintain if I sub-contract all the work?
All home repair contractors must carry workmen’s compensation and public liability insurance coverage as a condition of getting this license.
21. What if I change the legal style of the business?
This change is treated as a name change initially. We require that the company file a confirmation of the company’s Federal Employment Identification Number (“FEIN”) from the Internal Revenue Service within 30 days of the legal style change. Should the FEIN change the company will be required to submit a new application.
22. Is the license transferrable?
No. A license may not be transferred from one entity to another.
23. How can I contact DOBI if I have a question that wasn’t answered above?
You can put your question in writing and fax it to us at (609) 292-1416 or by e-mail to email@example.com.