File a Tax Return to Claim the Tax Benefit You Earned!
The Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) is a federal and state tax benefit for individuals and families who earn low-to moderate incomes in NJ. It is a tax credit that may reduce the amount of taxes you owe, or provide you with a refund, even if you don’t owe any taxes.
To get the NJ state EITC, you must file a federal tax form, be eligible for the federal EITC and file a state income tax return (if you are married but file separately, you may not claim the NJ EITC).
You May Be Eligible
If you worked full- or part-time or you were self-employed in 2014, you may qualify.
To qualify, your earned income and adjusted gross income (AGI) must be less than:
- $46,997 ($52,427 married filing jointly) with three or more qualifying children
- $43,756 ($49,186 married filing jointly) with two qualifying children
- $38,511 ($43,941 married filing jointly) with one qualifying child
- $14,590 ($20,020 married filing jointly) with no qualifying children
For the 2014 Tax year, you could receive a maximum federal credit of:
- $6,143 with three or more qualifying children
- $5,460 with two qualifying children
- $3,305 with one qualifying child
- $496 with no qualifying children
And a maximum NJ state credit of:
- $1228 with three or more qualifying children
- $1092 with two qualifying children
- $661 with one qualifying child
- $99 with no qualifying children
(Investment income must be $3,350 or less for the year.)
You can find out if you are eligible and get an estimate of your credit by visiting the Internal Revenue Services (IRS) EITC Assistant
Watch the EITC PSAs "Moneygami" - HERE!
2014 EITC "Fact Sheet" flyer - Eng/Sp. - PDF
2014 EITC "Want More of This?" flyer - Eng/Sp. - PDF
Get FREE Tax Help!
Free assistance in the preparation and filing of your federal and state Income Tax Returns is available at local Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) sites. For a location near you, call NJ’s Hotline 2-1-1 or visit www.nj211.org or visit the IRS Vita Site Locator Tool.