File a Tax Return to Claim the Tax Benefit You Earned!
The Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) is a federal and state tax benefit for individuals and families who earn low-to moderate incomes in NJ. It is a tax credit that may reduce the amount of taxes you owe, or provide you with a refund, even if you don’t owe any taxes.
To get the NJ state EITC, you must file a federal tax form, be eligible for the federal EITC and file a state income tax return (if you are married but file separately, you may not claim the NJ EITC).
You May Be Eligible
If you worked full- or part-time or you were self-employed in 2015, you may qualify.
To qualify, your earned income and adjusted gross income (AGI) must be less than:
- $47,747 ($53,267 married filing jointly) with three or more qualifying children
- $44,454 ($49,974 married filing jointly) with two qualifying children
- $39,131 ($44,651 married filing jointly) with one qualifying child
- $14,820 ($20,330 married filing jointly) with no qualifying children
For the 2015 Tax year, you could receive a maximum federal credit of:
- $6,242 with three or more qualifying children
- $5,548 with two qualifying children
- $3,359 with one qualifying child
- $ 503 with no qualifying children
And a maximum NJ state credit of:
- $1,873 with three or more qualifying children
- $1,665 with two qualifying children
- $1,008 with one qualifying child
- $ 151 with no qualifying children
(Investment income must be $3,400 or less for the year.)
You can find out if you are eligible and get an estimate of your credit by visiting the Internal Revenue Services (IRS) EITC Assistant
Watch the EITC PSAs "Moneygami" - HERE!
2015 EITC "Fact Sheet" - Eng/Sp. - PDF
Get FREE Tax Help!
Free assistance in the preparation and filing of your federal and state Income Tax Returns is available at local Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) sites. For a location near you, call NJ’s Hotline 2-1-1 or visit www.nj211.org or visit the IRS Vita Site Locator Tool.