LEA business offices play an instrumental role within an LEA by ensuring successful school operations through the appropriate use and accounting of funding available to the LEA. While most of the basic framework for LEAs to meet financial obligations has remained in place during the public health emergency, the magnitude and timelines of work have shifted significantly as LEAs respond to new funding sources, as well as health and safety recommendations and growing student and staff needs.
- Has the LEA encumbered/drawn down its federal grant funding (ESSER I/II and ARP ESSER) for learning acceleration and mental health?
- Has the LEA come across any barriers in spending the grants? If so, have they been resolved?
- Has the LEA referred to the NJDOE’s website on the federal funds for additional details on the use and timing of the federal stimulus grant programs?
- Has the LEA consulted with the NJDOE’s Executive County Business Official and/or Grants Manager to facilitate the use of funds?
- Has the LEA considered the level of state funding anticipated in the coming school years and how to ensure maximizing the use of federal funding streams within their allowable uses?
- What types of expenditures has the LEA considered that will benefit students without incurring future costs that cannot be covered once federal funding has been exhausted?
- How has the LEA detailed plans that align various federal funding streams to ensure they are each being maximized during the grant periods?
- Are there any investments the LEA can make now, while additional federal funding is available, that will pay long term dividends and possibly reduce future LEA costs?