Medical Review FAQ

How long do I have to be seizure free before I can drive again?

NJAC 13:19-5.1 et. seq. requires that you be seizure free for six months before you may re-apply; however, all medical review cases are handled on an individual basis. You can contact the Medical Review Unit for further information.

If I am suspended for being medically unqualified to drive, how do I re-apply?

You can contact the Medical Review Unit and the appropriate forms will be sent to you. You will be contacted by mail on the outcome of the review.

Do I need to pay a restoration fee?

If you are suspended only for being Medically Unqualified, you will not have to pay a restoration fee; however, if you have a suspension for any other reason, you will be required to pay the $100.00 restoration fee.

If I move out of state, do I have to continue to interval report?

No; however, you must provide the Medical Review Unit with proof of your new state of residency. Acceptable proof is a driver license from that state, copy of your lease or mortgage statement, or a utility (telephone, electric, etc.) bill.

If I have a recurrent seizure disorder, can I have a CDL?

According to Chapter 49 of the Commercial Federal Regulation (CFR) 391.41 and by authority of NJAC 13:21-14.5, a person is disqualified from driving a commercial motor vehicle if he/she has an established medical history or diagnosis of epilepsy or any other condition which is likely to cause loss of consciousness or loss of ability to control a commercial motor vehicle.

How do I apply for a Medical Exemption for Vehicle Sun-Screening Certificate?

You can download the application MVC Sunscreening 1 [pdf], or you may request this form by phone at 609-984-2973.

When can I request a hearing?

If you have been scheduled for suspension due to being medically unqualified, you may request a hearing in accordance with NJAC 13:19-1.1, specifying disputed materials and/or legal issues.

Why was I scheduled for a re-exam?

Different circumstances can lead to scheduling a driver for a re-exam. Some examples are: two chargeable accidents within a six month time period, a court order by a judge, recommendation from a physician or a rehabilitation facility, or recommendation from the MVC Medical Advisory Panel.

I need to reschedule my re-exam. How do I do this?

You must request a reschedule date in writing to the Medical Review Unit. Be sure to include your name, address and driver license number.