Beach and Dune Restoration & Maintenance:
Communities and private property owners that have a general permit or individual CAFRA permit to perform beach and dune maintenance may conduct the following activities without additional land use permits:
- Bulldozing of sand from the lower beach profile (above the low water line) to the upper beach profile to restore the beach berm width and elevation;
- The transfer of sand along the beach (borrow areas are not to be scraped deeper than one foot);
- The temporary placement of concrete, rubble or sand filled geotextile bags or tubes (seaward of any remaining dunes) THIS MATERIAL MUST BE CLEAN AND NON-CONTAMINATED;
- Dune restoration, repair and enhancement;
- Removal of clean sand from streets/parking areas and placement onto the eastern toe of the remaining dune, the oceanfront beach or used to establish dunes.
For additional information regarding emergency post-storm beach restoration, see section 7:7E-3A.3 "Standards applicable to emergency post-storm beach restoration in the Coastal Zone Management Rules". (N.J.A.C. 7:7E) If you do not currently have a general permit or individual CAFRA permit please contact the NJDEP Division of Land Use Regulation at (609) 292-2953 for an emergency permit to perform these activities on the beachfront.