Governor Chris Christie • Lt.Governor Kim Guadagno
NJ Home | Services A to Z | Departments/Agencies | FAQs  
State of New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection
State of New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection
DEP Home | About DEP | Index by Topic | Programs/Units | DEP Online 
news releases

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
November 19, 2003

Contact: Elaine Makatura 609-292-2994
Dana Loschiavo

 

DEP's State Historic Preservation Office Names Five New Sites
to the New Jersey Register of Historic Places

(03/168) TRENTON - New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) Commissioner Bradley M. Campbell today announced the listing of five new historic sites to the New Jersey Register of Historic Places. The sites are located in Camden, Middlesex, Salem and Somerset Counties.

"New Jersey is blessed with a rich heritage of historically significant sites and artifacts that are vital parts of our communities and landscape," said Commissioner Campbell. "Listing these sites on the New Jersey State Register will help property owners and communities be more effective advocates for protecting their historic properties from destruction."

The State Register is a list of areas and properties worthy of preservation for their historical, architectural, cultural or archaeological significance.

In addition to the state listing, Commissioner Campbell will recommend that these properties be placed on the National Register of Historic Places, administered by the National Park Service. National Register listing offers historic properties a measure of protection from federally sponsored or assisted activities.

Below is the list of sites added to the register.

  • Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, Camden, Camden County
    The Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, constructed 1864 - circa 1877, is significant in the area of architecture as a well-executed example of the Gothic Revival style as applied to an ecclesiastical structure. Constructed of Trenton brownstone, the cathedral has pointed-arch windows, stained glass and wood tracery, a large rose window, buttresses, an offset tower, spire and many other features common to the Gothic Revival style. The interior finish work, including the plaster and frescoes, the Carrara marble alter and some of the domestic stained glass windows were completed before the consecration of the church in 1893. The Mayer Studios stained glass windows were installed in 1905. Noted Newark, New Jersey architect Jeremiah O'Rourke designed the Cathedral. O'Rourke developed a relationship with the Roman Catholic Church and was commissioned to design churches, rectories and schools for the Dioceses of Trenton and Newark in the latter half of the nineteenth century and the beginning of the twentieth century.

  • St. Joseph Polish Catholic Church, Camden, Camden County
    St. Joseph Polish Catholic Church, built in 1914 is an architectural and community landmark in the City of Camden. The parish was established in response to the determined efforts of Polish immigrants who worked toward the goal of instituting a new parish reflecting their history, culture and traditions of worship. Once established, the parish was instrumental in creating a welcoming neighborhood for Polish immigrants through the construction of housing in the area of the church and the formation of Polish-owned savings and loan associations, as well as acting as a religious, educational and social center of the new neighborhood, which became known as "Polishtown."

  • The church was designed by Philadelphia architect George I. Lovatt, Sr., who was well known for his ecclesiastical commissions in the greater Philadelphia area. The design of the church reflects the Baroque influence on the churches in the parishioners' native Poland and is laid out in a traditional basilica form. It is constructed of New Hampshire granite with decorative elements carved from limestone or formed in copper. The interior was designed with a repeating theme of arches and elaborate decoration that includes faux painting, statues and murals.

  • St. Mary's Church, Borough of South River, Middlesex County
    St. Mary's Church is a local landmark in the river town incorporated as the Borough of South River. This imposing and majestic church is the tallest structure in the Borough and can be seen from any approach to the Borough of South River. Formed by Polish Catholics, it is a well-preserved granite Romanesque Revival church, significant for its architecture. The architect of the church was Henry Dandurand Dagit, a renowned Philadelphia architect of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

  • Alloways Creek Friends Meetinghouse, Lower Alloways Creek Twp., Salem County
    The Alloways Creek Friends Meetinghouse, constructed in 1756, was the third meetinghouse constructed for the Alloways Creek Friends. The original form of this meetinghouse, a one story, single-cell building, was a common form for small Friends Meetings in the Delaware Valley from the late seventeenth through the mid-eighteenth centuries. The construction of a major addition in 1784, along with alterations to the original building, converted the meetinghouse into a two-story, two-cell form that quickly dominated Quaker meetinghouse design in the second half of the eighteenth century. While new meetinghouses constructed during the period were built with equal-sized rooms, reflecting contemporary thought on space arrangement for worship and business meetings, the Alloways Creek Friends Meetinghouse retained a slight discrepancy in the size between the two rooms, maintaining the distinction between the main worship room/men's business meeting room and the women's business meeting room found in the earlier generation of meetinghouses. Typical Quaker meetinghouse elements exhibited by the Alloways Creek Friends Meetinghouse include its plain, rectangular brick form with a side gable roof, covered entrances, unadorned interior, facing bench platforms, a U-shaped gallery and a movable partition that allowed joint worship services and separate business meetings.

  • Dirck Gulick House, Montgomery Township, Somerset County
    The Dirck Gulick House was constructed in the mid-eighteenth century and is a one-and-one half story Dutch vernacular building. It is a rare example of a Dutch built stone house in a Dutch community typified by its frame houses. In the Gulick house there is evidence that a process of assimilation was underway in the house-building culture of other nationalities present in mid-eighteenth century central New Jersey.

 

###

Related Links

News Releases: DEP News Home | Archives
Department: NJDEP Home | About DEP | Index by Topic | Programs/Units | DEP Online
Statewide: NJ Home | Services A to Z | Departments/Agencies | FAQs

Copyright © State of New Jersey, 1996-2012

Last Updated:

Last Updated: July 15, 2010