NJ Eviction Law

Most disputes between landlords and tenants are resolved by the Landlord/Tenant Section of the Special Civil Part Court. The Landlord/Tenant Section is one of three sections within the Special Civil Part. The other two sections are Small Claims and Civil Actions.

Brochures for all three sections are available at any New Jersey Special Civil Part Clerk’s Office, as well as on the Internet at www.judiciary.state.nj.us/courts/civil/specialcivil.html.

You can also find Frequently Asked Questions for all sections at www.judiciary.state.nj.us/forms/11481_spec_civil_faq.pdf.

This FAQ http://www.njcourts.gov/courts/assets/civil/landlordtenantfaq.pdf gives general information about the Landlord/Tenant Section. It is not intended to provide or take the place of legal advice or to answer every question you may have about this court.

For legal advice about your rights, you should contact a lawyer. If you do not have a lawyer, you may contact the Lawyers' Referral Service of the County Bar Association. If you cannot afford a lawyer, you may contact the Legal Services Program in your county to see if you are eligible to receive free legal services.  A legal services tenant’s rights manual can be found at the following link:  http://www.lsnjlaw.org/Publications/Pages/Manuals/TenantsRights.pdf