You may be eligible for a reimbursement of the difference between the amount of property taxes you paid for the base year (the year you first became eligible) and the amount paid for the year for which you are applying for a reimbursement if you met all the following requirements for the base year and for each succeeding year, up to and including the year for which you are claiming the reimbursement.
- You are age 65 or older or receiving Federal Social Security disability benefits; and
- You have lived in New Jersey continuously for at least the last 10 years, as either a homeowner or a renter; and
- You have owned and lived in your home (or have leased a site in a mobile home park on which you have placed a manufactured or mobile home that you own) for at least the last 3 years; and
- You have paid the full amount of property taxes (or site fees if you are a mobile home owner) that were due on your home for the base year and for each succeeding year, up to and including the year for which you are claiming the reimbursement; and
- You meet the income limits for the base year and for each succeeding year, up to and including the year for which you are claiming the reimbursement.
Residents applying for the 2013 reimbursement must have total income for 2012 that is $82,880 or less and for 2013 that is $84,289 or less. These limits apply regardless of marital/civil union status. However, if your filing status was married/CU couple, and you lived in the same household, you must combine your incomes for that year.
If your residence is in a multiple-unit building that you own, and the building has more than four units, you are not eligible for a property tax reimbursement. You are also not eligible if the building has four units or less but more than one commercial unit.
Note: For 2012 the State Budget limited reimbursement payments to certain applicants. Only those applicants whose 2011 income did not exceed $80,000 and whose 2012 income did not exceed $70,000 (the original limit was $82,880) were eligible to receive reimbursement payments for 2012, provided they met all the other program requirements. The State Budget may apply similar limitations for 2013.
2013 Eligibility Requirements