- August 19, 2021 - NJHMFA has submitted the required information requested by U.S. Treasury to receive the Agency’s complete Homeowner Assistance Fund allocation. While Treasury reviews NJHMFA’s HAF submission, the Agency will continue to work diligently to prepare for a HAF program launch in the coming months.
- August 2, 2021 - U.S. Treasury provided additional Homeowner Assistance Fund (HAF) plan guidance to all states. Treasury will soon make a portal available through which states may then submit their proposed HAF plans. Once Treasury opens the plan portal to all states, HAF participants have 14 days to submit their HAF plans or notify Treasury of the date on which their HAF plan will be submitted. NJHMFA is working diligently to comply with the revised guidance.
Homeowner Assistance Fund (HAF)
- The Homeowner Assistance Fund (HAF) is made available through the American Rescue Plan Act, enacted March 11, 2021.
- The HAF program will provide financial assistance for homeowners who have experienced a significant reduction or loss of income due to COVID-19 and have been unable to remain current with their mortgage payments.
- New Jersey Housing and Mortgage Finance Agency (NJHMFA) is in the process of developing eligibility requirements for the New Jersey HAF program.
- Once the New Jersey HAF plan receives U.S. Treasury approval, all eligibility requirements and details about the application process will be shared via email and made available on this page.
- If you are in need of immediate assistance, please reach out to a housing counselor in your area: https://www.nj.gov/dca/hmfa/consumers/foreclosure/counselor/index.shtml
- June 29, 2021 - U.S. Treasury amended the HAF Plan submission timeline for all state Housing Finance Agencies from June 30, 2021, to July 31, 2021, and the portal is not yet open to accept HAF submissions. Once submission is possible, NJHMFA will finalize and submit the New Jersey HAF plan to U.S. Treasury for review.
NJHMFA Public Comment Information
On June 17, 2021, NJHMFA hosted a virtual hearing to solicit public comments on HAF proposed uses. The agency has posted responses to the questions asked at the hearing and submitted to the HAF email during the public comment session. These responses address categories of questions comprehensively rather than each question individually to enhance understanding of the interplay between various elements of the proposal. These responses are also available in the attached document. Thank you to all who participated in this process for the valuable feedback provided.
- Public comment session responses
- NJHMFA responses to public comments (August 6, 2021)
- Notice documents for public hearing:
- Homeowner Assistance Fund and Program Planning Materials for Public Comment (June 14, 2021)
- Spanish (HAF) Overview and Program Planning Materials for Public Comment (June 14, 2021)
- Translation of the HAF Overview and Program Planning Materials for Public Comment is available upon request via HAF_Public_Comments@njhmfa.gov for the following languages: Italian, Portuguese, Polish, Hindi, Gujarati, Chinese (including Cantonese and Mandarin), Korean, Tagalog, and Arabic. (June 14, 2021)
- Notice of HAF Public Comment Session (June 14, 2021)
- Click here to receive HAF update notifications. (June 14, 2021)