Nonpublic School Health Services
"The Legislature hereby finds and determines that the welfare of the State requires that all school-age children be assured equal access to appropriate health care services. In order to achieve this objective, it is the intent of the Legislature to require that the State and local communities provide basic nursing services for children in both public and nonpublic schools." (N.J.S.A. 18A:40-23).
For the purposes of monitoring and recordkeeping, the district board of education providing health services to nonpublic schools shall annually submit the following information to the county superintendent of education on or before October 1 and shall provide a copy to the chief school administrator of the nonpublic schools within school district boundaries [N.J.A.C. 6A:16-2.5(j)]:
- A written statement verifying that the required conference was held with the nonpublic school: consultation agreement form
- A copy of the contract with another agency to provide the services, if applicable, and approved minutes of the district board of education meeting approving the contract, which describes the methods by which the health services to nonpublic school students will be provided for the ensuing year, including a rationale for the distribution of funds; and
- A description of the type and number of services that were provided during the previous school year on a form approved by the Commissioner of Education: Annual Nonpublic School Nursing Report Form.
Statute and Code
Guidance and Technical Assistance
- The Nursing Program Guidance provides the statute and code relating to nursing services for nonpublic school students. In addition, it includes NJDOE recommendations, and statute and code clarifications.
- Timeline for the Timely Delivery of Nonpublic School Services and Products
- Nonpublic School Health Services Program PPT
- Guidelines for the Emergency Administration of an Opioid Antidote in Schools
- District and Nonpublic School Health Service Resources
- Sample Vendor Evaluation Rubric for Nonpublic School Nursing Services
Find a model proposal evaluation methodology (zip file) with a weighting of criteria to help districts evaluate the service provider proposals they receive.
- Approved clinics and agencies