NJDOT suspends construction
for Thanksgiving weekend
(Trenton) - New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) Commissioner Stephen Dilts announced that NJDOT is suspending all construction that could impact traffic for the upcoming Thanksgiving weekend.
NJDOT projects a 10 percent increase in traffic volume on the state roadway network during the holiday weekend. In order to accommodate the additional traffic, NJDOT at 6 a.m. on Wednesday, November 25 will suspend all construction work that affects travel lanes on state highways. NJDOT will continue the suspension until noon on Monday, November 30. NJDOT will permit lane closures for emergencies only.
In addition to suspending construction work, NJDOT announced the following statewide highway safety initiatives:
- NJDOT will extend the hours of operation of the Statewide Emergency Service Patrols (ESP) over the holiday weekend. ESP provides stranded drivers extra fuel, tire changes and other services.
- The state-of-the-art Statewide Traffic Management Center enables NJDOT, the New Jersey Turnpike Authority and the New Jersey State Police to manage and respond to accidents, adverse weather, special events and congestion. The facility operates 24 hours per day, seven days per week.
- NJDOT’s real time traffic Web site, www.511nj.org, offers interactive maps and displays traffic incidents. The Google Maps-based Web site offers motorists real time traffic conditions on State highways, interstate highways, the Garden State Parkway and the New Jersey Turnpike. The Web site highlights incidents, construction, weather and special events.
- NJDOT’s 511 interactive telephone line provides motorists personalized real-time traffic information. Motorists may also subscribe to MyNJ511, a Personalized Traveler Service that sends free, real-time traffic alerts to motorists’ cell phones, email addresses and Personal Digital Assistants.
- Drivers are encouraged to call the following numbers for roadside assistance or to report a disabled vehicle, roadside debris or other problems;
- On the Turnpike, call #95.
- On the Parkway, call #GSP (#477).
- On the Atlantic City Expressway, call #ACE (#223).
- To report aggressive driving on any road, call #77.