P.O. Box 600
Contact: Steve Schapiro
RELEASE: December 8, 2015
Railroad-crossing repairs announced for
Route 91/Jersey Avenue in New Brunswick
Necessary safety work will require road closure and detour
(Trenton) - New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) officials today announced a railroad crossing rehabilitation project that will require the closure and detour of Route 91/Jersey Avenue in New Brunswick, Middlesex County.
Traffic on Route 91/Jersey Avenue is scheduled to be closed in both directions at the Conrail railroad grade crossing, between Triangle Road and Van Dyke Avenue from 7 a.m. Wednesday, December 9, until 7 p.m. Friday, December 11.
The entrance to the NJ TRANSIT Jersey Avenue rail station parking lot will remain open during construction. The following detours will be in place:
Route 91/Jersey Avenue northbound
• Traffic from Route 91/Jersey Avenue heading north will be directed to make a left onto CR680/How Lane
• Make a right onto Route 27/Somerset Street
• Make a right onto Van Dyke Avenue and then continue back onto Jersey Avenue
Route 91/Jersey Avenue southbound
• Traffic from Route 91/Jersey Avenue heading south will be directed to make a right onto Van Dyke Avenue
• Make a left onto Route 27/Somerset Street
• Make a left onto CR680/How Lane and then continue back onto Jersey Avenue
The traffic detour will be coordinated with the local police. If work is completed earlier, the roadway will be reopened accordingly.
In order to provide a safer and smoother railroad crossing in New Brunswick, the existing crossing will be replaced with a new concrete crossing and new asphalt approaches. This project is included within NJDOT’s railroad grade-crossing safety program which repairs, upgrades, or removes approximately 30 crossings each year, statewide.
The precise timing of the work is subject to change due to weather or other factors. Motorists are encouraged to check NJDOT's traffic information website www.511nj.org for real-time travel information and for NJDOT news follow us on Twitter @NJDOT_info.