P.O. Box 600
Contact: Steve Schapiro
RELEASE: August 17, 2017
Haynes Avenue Bridge to close for nine months
Traffic detoured as Routes 1&9/Haynes Avenue
(Trenton) - The New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) today announced the long-term closure and detour of Haynes Avenue Bridge over the Northeast Corridor railroad tracks in Essex County.
Beginning at 9 p.m., Friday, August 18, NJDOT’s contractor Anselmi and Decicco, Inc., will close the Haynes Avenue Bridge over the Northeast Corridor railroad tracks for approximately nine months to construct a roundabout at the intersection of Haynes Avenue and Bessemer Street. Motorists will be directed to use a detour for the duration of work, expected to be completed in the summer of 2018. The following detours will be in place:
Routes 1&9 southbound to Frelinghuysen Avenue Detour:
- Routes 1&9 southbound motorists north of Route 22 will be directed to exit onto Route 22 westbound, to Frelinghuysen Avenue/Route 27 exit ramp, and make a left
- Routes 1&9 southbound motorists south of Route 22 will be directed to the McClellan Street exit ramp, continue under the railroad bridge and make a right onto Frelinghuysen Avenue/Route 27
Routes 1&9 southbound Local to Haynes Avenue/Bessemer Street Detour:
- Motorists on Routes 1&9 southbound Local heading to Bessemer Street will pass the Haynes Avenue exit, go approximately 400 feet under Haynes Avenue and use the next exit ramp for Routes 1&9 northbound/Port Newark to Haynes Avenue/Bessemer Street
Frelinghuysen Avenue to Haynes Avenue Detour:
- Frelinghuysen Avenue motorists will be directed to McClellan Street for access to Routes 1&9 northbound
- Take Routes 1&9 northbound to the Haynes Avenue/U-turn exit
Frelinghuysen Avenue Truck to Haynes Avenue Detour:
- Frelinghuysen Avenue Truck traffic will be directed to use Route 22 eastbound to Routes 1&9 southbound
- Take Routes 1&9 southbound to the next exit ramp for Routes 1&9 northbound/Port Newark to Haynes Avenue/Bessemer Street
The $14.2 million federally-funded Routes 1&9/Haynes Avenue operational improvements project is designed to improve safety and traffic flow by constructing a new roundabout at the intersection of Routes 1&9 southbound, Haynes Avenue, and Bessemer Street, adding a third lane and shoulder between the Haynes Avenue exit ramp and the Anheuser-Busch entrance ramp, a realignment of the Routes 1&9 southbound ramps, and new pavement on the roadways in the area. The project is being accomplished in stages, and is expected to be completed in summer 2018.
Portable variable message signs are being utilized to provide advance notification to the public of all traffic pattern changes associated with the work. Any traffic detours associated with this project will be coordinated with the local police. If work is completed earlier, the roadways will be reopened accordingly.
The precise timing of the work is subject to change due to weatheror other factors. Motorists are encouraged to check NJDOT’s traffic information website www.511nj.org for real-time travel information and for NJDOT news follow us on Twitter @NJDOT_info.