Please be advised that the New Jersey Department Of Environmental Protection (NJDEP) is no longer issuing Child Care Facility Approval letters.
A Licensed Site Remediation Professional (LSRP) must be hired to conduct a Preliminary Assessment, at a minimum, and issue a Response Action Outcome (RAO). A list of LSRPs is available here. Once an LSRP is retained, the first step in the process is to conduct a Preliminary Assessment (PA) in accordance with the Technical Requirements for Site Remediation. An overview of the process is below.
- If the PA does not indicate any Areas of Concern (AOC) which would warrant a Site Investigation, then the Preliminary Assessment with safe drinking water certification should be the only items needed for the LSRP to issue an RAO.
If the results of the PA identify area(s) of concern (AOCs) within
the child care center portion of the property, the LSRP must conduct
a Site Investigation.
- If the results of the SI indicate that no areas of concern require remediation, the LSRP will issue a Response Action Outcome (RAO).
- If the results of the SI indicate the need for remediation, a Remedial Investigation and Remedial Action must be conducted by the LSRP, on the area(s) of concern.
- After completing the Remedial Action, the LSRP will issue an RAO.
- If the results of the PA identify AOCs outside of the child care center portion of the property, the AOCs must be considered to determine if they have or will have an impact to the operation of the child care center.
- Please note if the complete site history of the child care center cannot be determined, soil sampling of the play area is required. If the play area is not covered, the LSRP, based on his/her professional judgement, may recommend soil sampling of the play area, to ensure that the children will not be exposed to any potential contamination in the play area soil.
- Documentation that safe drinking water is being provided.
Note: The RAO must include all appropriate Child Care notices and attachments.
The RAO and supporting document(s) must be accompanied by the CCF/EF form available at nj.gov/dep/srp/srra/forms.