The New Jersey Department of Education supports schools, educators and districts to ensure all of New Jersey's 1.4 million students have equitable access to high quality education and achieve academic excellence. As a national leader in education, New Jersey is committed to ensuring excellence within our schools.
To meet our mission the NJDOE requires committed educators to ensure students achieve postsecondary success. This webpage provides information on how to obtain New Jersey certification for teachers, school leaders, educational services personnel, career and technical educators and substitutes.
- Hours: Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Phone: (609) 292-2070
- Create an NJEdCert account to submit questions and communicate directly with customer service staff.
- For all Substitute Credential questions contact a County Office of Education
Performance Assessment Update
On Friday, December 16, 2022, Governor Phil Murphy signed S896 w/GR into law, which prohibits the State Board of Education from requiring completion of a Commissioner-approved performance-based assessment for certification. Please review the January 18, 2023 broadcast memo for general guidelines of implementation. Candidates currently enrolled in an Educator Preparation Program (EPP) should contact their provider for further information.
County Offices of Education
Substitute Service Limits
NJEdCert Training Materials
- District Guidance
- NJEdCert District Training Video
- Regional Certification Training & FAQs