Please note that the State of New Jersey does not have a saltwater fishing license, but the State does require all saltwater anglers to register with the NJ Department of Environmental Protection. Registration can be done online at nj.gov/dep/saltwaterregistry.
The New Jersey Department of Military and Veterans Affairs is accepting “walk-ins” for NJNG Hunting and Fishing Licenses. All individuals gaining access to our facility will undergo a temperature screening and are required to wear a mask.
The State of New Jersey offers free Hunting and Freshwater Fishing Licenses to eligible New Jersey National Guardsmen.
While each type of license has specific eligibility criteria that needs to be met prior to being issued. Below are the general criteria they all share:
- Completed Initial Active Duty for Training (IADT) / Officer Basic Branch Course.
- Have participated in unit training assemblies within last 90 days.
- Be up-to-date on any court-mandated child support payments.
For the purposes of this licensing, “Initial Active Duty for Training” means Basic Military Training for members of the NJ Air National Guard and Basic Combat Training and Advanced Individual Training for members of the NJ Army National Guard.
How to Apply
The following required documentation must be submitted to apply for a NJ National Guard Hunting or Freshwater Fishing License:
- A completed NJDMAVA Form 799-1 (Resident) or NJDMAVA Form 799-2 (Non-Resident).
- An original copy of a current Leave and Earnings Statement (LES) or MyPay statement, proving that you have participated in unit training assemblies within last 90 days.
- A NJ Child Support Certificate proving you are up-to-date on any court-mandated child support payments (see section below). This requirement is completed online. Note: All applicants must complete this certification regardless if the individual is required to submit child support payments or not.
- Any license specific documentation (see section below).
Submit the completed documentation as outlined below:
NJ Department of Military and Veterans Affairs
Attn: MSG(Ret) Robert Greco (ASB-RALV)
PO Box 340
Trenton, NJ 08625-0340
If applying for a Freshwater Fishing License, you can complete our online fishing license application in place of the NJDMAVA Form 799-1/2 and submit the other required documentation separately via mail, email, or fax.
NJ Child Support Certification
The NJ Child Support Certification is required by the State of New Jersey Division of Fish and Wildlife prior to issue of a Hunting and/or Freshwater Fishing License. The certification is valid for one year, 1 January to 31 December, and must be renewed annually.
The certification may be accessed and completed online from the NJ Division of Fish and Wildlife website at njfishandwildlife.com.
License Specific Documentation
NJ National Guard State Firearm Hunting License
- An original copy of last firearms hunting license issued OR
- Evidence of having completed the Firearms Hunter's Training Safety Course
NJ National Guard State Bow Hunting License
- An original copy of last bow and arrow hunting license issued OR
- Evidence of having completed the Bow and Arrow Hunter's Training Safety Course
NJ National Guard State Trapping License
- An original copy of last trapping license issued OR
- Evidence of having completed the Trappers Education Course