Department of Military and Veterans Affairs

Veterans Affairs Save NJ Vets

NJ Meritorious Service Medal


The New Jersey Meritorious Service Medal is awarded to those veterans who were a resident upon entry into service or if the veteran has been a resident of this State for at least five years in the aggregate, honorably discharged and served in the organized militia, or the Armed Forces of the US or a Reserve component.



  • Veterans of the Armed Forces of the United States who received an honorable.
  • Resident of New Jersey upon entry into military service or veterans who have been a resident of this state for at least five years in the aggregate.
  • Posthumous award authorized.

For posthumous awards, the surviving spouse or immediate family member of any resident of the State meeting the above requirements for a medal and who was killed while on active duty or died after receiving an honorable discharge from the armed forces may apply for a posthumous awarding of the medal.

Request must include copy of the veteran’s death certificate and proof of relationship as father, mother, husband, wife, son, daughter, brother or sister. (Proof may be copies of birth, marriage, baptismal certificates which clearly show relationship, or notarized certificate.)

How To Apply

Individuals applying for the award must mail a completed Application for State Medals or a similar request in writing along with a copy of the service members WD Form 53 or DD Form 214 (Separation from Active Duty) attesting to the fact that an Honorable Discharge was granted.

Note: No person shall be entitled to more than one award of the medal.

All requests should be mailed to:

NJ Dept of Military and Veterans Affairs
Attn: DVS-VBB (Awards)
PO Box 340
Trenton, NJ 08625-0340

Last Updated: 10/04/2021
US Army US Marine Corps US Navy US Air Force US Space Force US Coast Guard

to top