Patients registered in the Medicinal Cannabis Program may elect to have up to two caregivers if their condition renders them physically unable to go to an alternative treatment center (ATC). Designated caregivers may purchase medicinal cannabis from an ATC without the patient present.
Caregivers are chosen by the certified patient – typically a friend or family member – and can be added at any time during registration, or after. Caregivers must acquire a Medical Cannabis Program identification card through the same registration process as patients.
Caregivers are required to submit fingerprints for a criminal background investigation. The fingerprinting forms will be available after the online registration process is initiated.
Caregiver identification card fee:
- $100 Standard
- $20 Reduced fee
- Free to parents and guardians of minor patients
Reduced Fee Eligibility:
- Proof of one of the following:
- Senior Citizen (age 65 and older)
- Military Veteran
- Recipient of certain forms of government assistance
- NJ Medicaid
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- NJ Temporary Disability Insurance (TDI)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Social Security Disability (SSD)