Governor Phil Murphy • Lt. Governor Tahesha Way
new jersey department of environmental protection
NJ Home Page Services A to Z NJ FAQs NJ Departments/Agencies departments
site remediation program

SRP Home | DEP Home

Unregulated Heating Oil Tank Program (UHOT) No Further Action Letter


Unregulated Heating Oil Tank Program (UHOT): No Further Action Letter

What is a No Further Action letter?

A No Further Action (NFA) letter is a final remediation document issued by the NJDEP that is a determination that there are no contaminants present, or that any discharged contaminants that were present have been remediated to applicable standards or remediation regulations. It closes out the contamination issue of a heating oil tank discharge.

How to I obtain an initial NFA Letter?

To obtain an initial NFA letter, a pre-qualified environmental professional, or the homeowner must submit three items (listed below) to the Bureau of Case Assignment (N.J.A.C. 7:26F).

To receive an initial NFA letter, please submit:

  1. Unregulated Heating Oil Tank System Remediation Form
    Instructions for form
  2. Payment of $400
    Electronically by e-check or credit card - see Instructions
    Check payable to the "Treasurer, State of New Jersey"
  3. Copies of all appropriate remediation documents
    These documents should be prepared in accordance with the reporting requirements on pages 33-36 contained in Heating Oil Tank System Remediation Rules

Notice: On January 16, 2022, electronic submission of Unregulated Heating Oil Tank (UHOT) forms, applications, and documents became mandatory. Please see the Department's Listserv for details.

How do I obtain a copy of a previously issued NFA letter?

If the NFA letter was issued BEFORE September 2015, to obtain a copy of a previously issued No Further Action letter or a copy of a report, please submit an Online OPRA Records Request.

If the NFA letter was issued AFTER September 2015, a copy of a previously issued No Further Action letter may be available electronically. To download a copy, search by Incident number on DataMiner, search by PI and activity on DataMiner, search by Address on DataMiner, or search by City on DataMiner.

How do I determine my case status?

The status of the case, including whether a NFA letter has been issued, can be determined using the PI number generated in the above report or using the site address, via NJDEP's Data Miner.

  • Go to DataMiner
  • Select "Search by Site"
  • Change to the "ID" tab
  • Under "Search Criteria" change the Program to "Site Remediation"
  • Type in the Program Interest number found above in the "ID" field
  • Click the "Program Interest" radio button
  • Click "Submit"
  • When the page loads, change the drop down on the right side of the report from "Case Tracking Tools" to "SRP Site Details"
  • Click the green arrow
  • On the next screen, the "Document Status" indicates whether the case is open or closed

If the status of the incident is "closed sent to UHOT" or "UHOT Central File" that means that a report has been submitted to the UHOT Program.


Please see the Frequently Asked Questions.

Related Links