The Licensure Office authorizes and regulates institutions of higher education that have a physical presence and offer instruction for academic credit in New Jersey. The Office is housed within the Office of the Secretary of Higher Education (OSHE) in Trenton, New Jersey.
Institutions interested in becoming licensed to offer credit-bearing courses or academic degree programs in the state of New Jersey must submit a petition to OSHE and receive approval before operating and/or offering courses or academic degree programs for credit in New Jersey. In-State institutions interested in creating new academic degree programs, exceeding their programmatic missions, and/or adding a branch campus must also submit petitions for approval. OSHE only approves licensure for college-credit based programs.
For questions or additional information about the academic degree program review process, please visit the New Jersey Presidents’ Council
For additional resources and links, please visit our licensure process, or email us.
The main functions of the Office of Licensure are:
- To authorizes both in and out-of- state institutions that offer credit bearing programs and/or degrees with a physical presence in New Jersey;
- Maintain and update state regulations, adoptions, and statutes as it pertains to higher education licensure and authorization.
- To act as a liaison between the New Jersey Presidents’ Council and the Office of the Secretary of Higher Education;
- To review academic programs, mission changes, university status, and additional branch campus requests as referred by the New Jersey Presidents’ Council; and
- To maintain and resolve student and other complaints in regard to New Jersey institutions of higher education operating outside of New Jersey with regard to its authority under the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA).
Searching for information on gaining career credentials?
Please visit the New Jersey Department of Education and Department of Consumer Affairs websites
For additional resources and links, please visit our Helpful Links.