NJ Human Services Issues Heat Recommendations for Older New Jerseyans & People on Certain Medications

(TRENTON) - With dangerously high temperatures and heat indexes up to 110 degrees expected through the weekend, the Department of Human Services today issued heat wave recommendations for older residents and people taking certain medications.

Temperatures are expected to reach the upper 90s on Friday, and rise to near 100 from Friday through Sunday, when it will feel like near 110 degrees, according to the National Weather Service. It will feel like 100 degrees on Sunday, according to the meteorological service.

New Jersey Human Services Commissioner Carole Johnson urged residents to check on their loved ones and to take steps to avoid heat exhaustion and heat stroke.

“With heat this high, people at risk should stay in air conditioning as much as possible. It’s imperative that people decrease their outdoor activity, drink a lot of liquids, and seek out cool places,” Commissioner Johnson said. “Extended exposure to the heat can be a significant health risk, and in some cases even fatal, especially for older adults.”

People taking medicine for certain mental health conditions should continue taking their prescribed medicines but check with their healthcare provider about the possible risk of heat-related complications.

“We need to check up on older adults, individuals with disabilities and people taking certain medications to ensure their safety,” the Commissioner said.

The divisions of Aging Services, Disability Services, Developmental Disabilities and Mental Health and Addiction Services are within Human Services.

“We encourage our older residents to make sure they have water on hand at all times and to seek out air-conditioned places to spend the hottest part of each day,” said Division of Aging Services Director Louise Rush.

If heat stroke is suspected, call 911, move the person into a cooler area, and help lower the person’s temperature with cool cloths.  For information about cooling centers set up in the state, please call your local municipality or visit: https://www.nj211.org/nj-cooling-centers