Performs legislative, legal and policy-influencing research and provides necessary legal support for the agency's divisions and offices. Within the OLRA is the Office of Contract Policy and Management and the Office of Auditing. The Office of Equal Employment Opportunity also reports to OLRA.
Specific areas that are supported by the OLRA include:
- Open Public Records Act (OPRA) – OLRA oversees, tracks, reports on and provides records requested by the public.
- Health Insurance Portability and Protection Act (HIPAA) – OLRA counsels divisions/units on issues related to the confidentiality of private health information.
- Conscientious Employee Protection Act (CEPA) – OLRA receives employees’ complaints of retaliation for taking protected actions under CEPA, investigates such complaints and recommends appropriate remedial action if necessary.
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) – OLRA provides advice and counsel to the divisions/units on issues related to employees’ requests for accommodations under the ADA and State law.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) – The Office of EEO, in conjunction with OLRA, enforces the provisions of the New Jersey Policy Prohibiting Discrimination and receives and investigates complaints of discrimination from DHS employees.
- Ethics – OLRA functions as the Department’s liaison to the State Ethics Commission (SEC) and is responsible for ensuring compliance with the New Jersey Conflict of Interest Law and supporting regulations, the Uniform Ethics Code, and the DHS Code of Ethics (Administrative Order 4:05).
- Rulemaking – OLRA functions as the Department’s liaison with the Office of Administrative Law (OAL) for activities related to rulemaking and public notices, reviews divisions’ rulemaking documents and ensures compliance with OAL and other State requirements.
- Contracting – The Office of Contract Policy and Management (OCPM) manages contracting policies, reviews division and Department contracting documents, and liaisons with the Department of Treasury, Division of Purchasing and Property. The Office of Auditing also reports to OCPM.
- Litigation – OLRA functions as the Department’s liaison to the Office of the Attorney General. All requests for opinions and advice are handled and processed through the OLRA. OLRA receives and processes all Notice of Claims and Summons and Complaints served on DHS.