Valuing Our Veterans
Governor Murphy greeting WWII Veterans
The New Jersey's Governor "We Value Our Veterans" Award gives your municipality or business the opportunity to value and honor the sacrifices, patriotism, and bravery displayed by our men and women who have worn the military uniform.
Your town, enterprise, or institution may already recognize Veterans in numerous ways. This award provides an additional avenue to honor New Jerseyans who have answered the call to arms in defense of American Values. Our Veterans' service represent an important part of New Jersey heritage, and receiving this award will serve as a conspicuous representation of your support of our Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines and Coast Guardsmen.
To our Veterans - past, present, and future - we thank you for your service and sacrifice.
The prestigious New Jersey's Governor "We Value Our Veterans" Award will come with a certificate from Governor Philip D. Murphy specifically for your community or business. This award designation can be used for your website, letterhead, flyers and banners for the year. For more information please refer to the specific award information below. Note: Award for academic institutions is pending governor approval.
In order to receive this award, your municipality must reach a total of 145 points based off the following initiatives and complete the Community Award Application. Completed applications can be emailed to Jessica.Alvarado@dmava.nj.gov.
- Provide parking spots for Purple Heart Recipients and Disabled Veterans (15)
- Provide discounts to Veterans at local establishments or offer free discount booklets to Veterans (10)
- Hold quarterly Veterans Roundtables (15)
- Honor Veterans at least quarterly at Council meetings/special events (15)
- Have local students bring Veteran Family members to speak at school (15)
- Honor and remember Memorial Day and Veterans Day each year (15)
- Provide discounts for the town pool or beach (or similar municipal establishment) (15)
- Hold Veteran Service Organization meet and greets (15)
- List Veterans resources on the town website (15)
- Honor POW/MIA Day and Gold Star Families Day (10)
- List Veteran owned businesses on the town website (10)
- Offer a military family scholarship to a graduating senior student (15)
- Volunteer municipal staff at Veteran related events (Memorial Day parades, Veteran Service Organization meet and greets, etc.) (10)
- Are there any initiatives not on this list that your town has achieved towards helping local Veterans? (e.g. Dedicating/naming a park, street, memorial, etc. to a local Veteran) (20)
In order to receive this award, your business must reach a total of 55 points based off the following initiatives and complete the Employer Award Application. Completed applications can be emailed to Jessica.Alvarado@dmava.nj.gov.
- Provide parking spots for Purple Heart Recipients and Disabled Veterans (5)
- Host a recognition ceremony on Veterans Day or other military related dates thanking the military and/or Veterans for their service (15)
- Create a Military Family Day at place of employment i.e. BBQ, picnic, luncheon, etc. (20)
- Recognize military employees as well as Veterans on the company website and other social media platforms and company newsletters (5)
- Include the Department of Military and Veterans Affairs link on the company website (5)
- Employee discount or tickets to an event or some token of appreciation (10)
- Retail outlets offer a special discount for all military and Veterans (10)
- Statewide convenience stores offer free coffee on Veterans Day (10)
- Care packages sent to families left behind during deployment (10)
- Bring your military family to work day (10)
- Make a company “military donation day” to your favorite military non-profit (15)
- Breakfast with the Boss for all employees who are serving or who have served (10)
- Partnering with ESGR with a Statement of Support signing (10)
- Incorporate a Wall of Heroes in the company lobby or on prominent display in the building (10)
- Insert the word Veteran on Veteran employee signature block/cards (5)
- Your own way of supporting Veterans (10)