Department of Military and Veterans Affairs

Community Relations Save NJ Vets

Open Public Records Act (OPRA)

Rights to Access Government Records

1.  New Jersey state law requires that in order for you to request access to government records, you must complete, sign and date a written request for access and deliver it in person or by mail during regular business hours to the Custodian of Records. You may also complete and submit a web enabled version of this request form.

OPRA Request OnlineOPRA Request Form

The Department of Military and Veterans Affairs (DMAVA) will not accept submission of a written request by fax or email. Your request is not considered filed until the request has been received by the Custodian of Records. If you submit a request to any other officer or employee of DMAVA, that officer or employee does not have the authority to accept your request on behalf of DMAVA and you will be directed to the Custodian of Records. Additional information, custodian email address and agency information links can be found on this site.

2.  If you (a) submit a request for access to government records to someone other than the Custodian of Records; or (b) do not complete a request containing the information required; or (c) make a request by telephone, email or fax, the Open Public Records Act and its deadlines, restrictions and remedies will not apply to your request.

3.  The fees for duplication of a government record in printed form are listed below. We will notify you of any special charges, special service charges or other additional charges authorized by state law or regulation before processing your request. Payment shall be made by cash, check or money order payable to the State of New Jersey.

Duplication Fees:

  • Letter (8.5” x 11”) $.05 each
  • Legal (8.5” x 14”) $.07 each
  • Electronic Records shall be provided free-of-charge but, you may be charged for cost of media, programming, clerical, supervisory assistance and/or substantial use of information technology.

Delivery: Delivery / postage fees additional depending upon delivery type.

Additional Charges: May be charged if extraordinary time/effort required, depending upon request.

4.  Requests with estimated fees exceeding $25 may require a 50% deposit. Anonymous requests, when permitted, require a deposit of 100% of estimated fees. You agree to pay the balance due upon delivery of the records.

5.  By state law, a Custodian of Records must deny access to a person who is convicted of an indictable offense in New Jersey, any other state, or the United States, who is seeking government records containing personal information pertaining to the person’s victim or the victim’s family.

6.  By law, DMAVA must notify you that it grants or denies a request for access to government records within seven (7) business days after the Custodian of Records receives the request, provided that the record is currently available and not in storage or archived. If the record requested is not currently available or is in storage or archived, the Custodian of Records will advise you within seven (7) business days when the record can be made available and the estimated cost. You may agree with the Custodian of Records to extend the time for granting or denying your request or making records available.

7.  You may be denied access to a government record if your request would substantially disrupt agency operations and the Custodian of Records is unable to reach a reasonable solution with you.

8.  If DMAVA is unable to comply with your request for access to a government record, the Custodian of Records will indicate the reasons for denial in writing and send you a signed and dated copy.

9.  Except as otherwise provided by law or by agreement with the requestor, if the Custodian of Records fails to respond to you within seven (7) business days of receiving a request, the failure to respond will be considered a denial of your request.

10.  If your request for access to a government record has been denied or unfilled within the time permitted by law, you have a right to challenge the decision by DMAVA to deny access. At your option, you may either file a complaint in writing with the Government Records Council (GRC) located in the Department of Community Affairs or institute a proceeding in the Superior Court of New Jersey. You may contact the GRC at (866) 850-0511 (toll free) or (609) 292-6830 or online at

11.  Information provided may be subject to disclosure under the Open Public Records Act.

Last Updated: 09/06/2022
Public Affairs National Guard Militia Museum of New Jersey 63rd Army Band New Jersey Youth Challenge Academy

to top