Department of Transportation

Licensing and Registration


Operators of commercial vehicles, such as large trucks, buses and vehicles hauling hazardous materials, must satisfy more stringent driver testing standards than drivers of non-commercial vehicles.

For example, a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) is required to drive a tractor trailer or any truck or trailer with a gross combination vehicle weight rating (GCWR) over 26,001 pounds or any vehicle transporting hazardous material requiring a placard.

A USDOT registration number is required for interstate travel.
Inter/intrastate operations
Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration regulations apply to both interstate and intrastate operations.

Last updated date: August 8, 2019 2:18 PM