The New Jersey Department of Education (NJDOE) partners with teacher preparation providers to engage stakeholders in annual convenings designed to raise awareness of the lack of teacher diversity and offer solutions for addressing this issue.
Convening attendees have the opportunity to:
- Explore national and local data
- Learn about best practices to address the lack of teacher diversity
- Collaborate with stakeholders to define action steps for the NJDOE, teacher preparation programs, school district leaders and educational organizations.
5th Annual New Jersey Convening for Diversifying the Teacher Workforce
The New Jersey Department of Education (NJDOE) has partnered with New Jersey Association of Colleges of Teacher Education (NJACTE) to support the annual Convening on Diversifying the Teacher Workforce. This years’ three-part virtual Convening will start on October 4, 2022 and the theme is, “C.A.R.E.: Community-building and Radical Empathy.” The sessions on October 4 and October 11 will be virtual and the in-person session will take place on October 18 at Rutgers University – Newark campus.
The 5th Annual New Jersey Convening for Diversifying the Teacher Workforce is intended to address the serious need to increase the diversity of the New Jersey teaching population. This series of meetings is designed to engage stakeholders and constituents from New Jersey in considering the barriers and supports to diversifying the teacher workforce in a polarized political climate. This convening will also provide opportunities for participants to learn about promising and successful efforts to increase teacher diversity in New Jersey and for growing and sustaining culturally responsive educators.
Previous Convening Events:
- October 5, 12, and 19, 2021 Convening: Virtual
- October 7, 14, 21, and 28, 2020 Convening: Virtual
- November 1, 2019 Convening: William Paterson University
- October 2018 Convening: Rowan University