Using Your Benefits

NJ SNAP benefits are issued on a Families First Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) card that works like a debit card. This card can be used in most grocery stores and some participating farmers market. You can find participating grocery stores by clicking here. Benefits can be used online at Amazon, Walmart, ShopRite and The Fresh Grocer. Recipients seeking to order from Walmart, ShopRite or The Fresh Grocer should check with their local stores about online SNAP availability. Benefits cannot be used to pay for delivery or service fees. Be sure to confirm an online store delivers to your home address before ordering.

Benefits are deposited into your account when the application is approved. Each month that you are still eligible, benefits will be deposited at the beginning of the month. Your benefits cannot be given to another person and you cannot sell the items you purchased with your SNAP benefits.

The card can be used at the grocery store, like you would use a debit card, to spend your NJ SNAP benefits. You will need to enter a secret Personal Identification Number (PIN), which should never be shared with anyone.

NJ SNAP can be used to buy food like:

  • Fruits and vegetables;
  • Beans, fish, poultry, meat;
  • Rice, bread, tortillas, cereal;
  • Milk and cheese; and
  • Seeds and plants that produce food.

NJ SNAP cannot be used to buy:

  • Alcohol, tobacco, cigarettes;
  • Non-food items (pet food, toilet paper, diapers, soap, etc.);
  • Vitamins and medicine;
  • Hot and prepared food or meals.


If you already have a Families First card, you can create an online account by visiting If you have an account, you can check your balance, change your PIN and/or report a lost or stolen card.

 If you are receiving cash assistance, when you are shopping in person, you can use your Families First card to withdraw cash from an ATM with the Quest® logo. You also can use the card to buy items that are not allowed under NJ SNAP.

It is illegal to use the Families First Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) card at any of these locations:

  • Liquor Stores
  • Casino/Gaming
  • Adult Entertainment/Establishments Strip Clubs

This is a federal law!