This is funded through a 10 percent set aside of the Surface Transportation Program category of federal funds for projects which are transportation related. Transportation Enhancement (TE) projects are designed to foster more livable communities, preserve and protect environmental and cultural resources and to promote alternative modes of transportation.
Funds are available for design, right of way acquisition and construction. Selection of TE projects involves the participation of civic and environmental groups, the transportation community and other government organizations such as the states Metropolitan Planning Organizations.
All applications for the Transportation Enhancement Program are to be submitted online through SAGE (System for Administering Grants Electronically).
An advisory committee is charged with applying the selection criteria and preparing the recommended list of projects for approval by the Commissioner of Transportation. Solicitation packages are usually sent out in the winter to every municipality and county inviting them to submit an application in one or more of twelve eligible categories.
Eligible categories are:
- Provision of facilities for pedestrians and bicycles.
- Provision of safety and educational activities for pedestrians and bicyclists.
- Acquisition of scenic easements and scenic or historic sites.
- Scenic or historic highway programs (including the provision of tourist and welcome center facilities).
- Landscaping and other scenic beautification.
- Historic preservation.
- Rehabilitation and operation of historic transportation buildings, structures and facilities (including historic railroad facilities and canals).
- Preservation of abandoned railway corridors (including the conversion and use thereof for pedestrian and bicycle trails).
- Control and removal of outdoor advertising.
- Archeological planning and research.
- Environmental mitigation to address water pollution due to highway runoff or reduce vehicle-caused wildlife mortality while maintaining habitat connectivity.
- Establishment of transportation-related museums.
TE funds are to be used only for projects with a direct transportation relationship that enhance quality of life while reaching the greatest number of people.
Transportation Enhancements recipients
Transportation Enhancements useful links
You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view the PDF files which is available at our state Adobe Acrobat Access page.