NJ Department of Labor and Workforce Development Extends Closings Amid COVID-19
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 21, 2020
TRENTON – In the ongoing effort to balance public safety with public service, the New Jersey Department of Labor and Workforce Development has extended the closing of its facilities to the public by two weeks due to the ongoing COVID-19 public health emergency. The anticipated reopening of all One-Stop Career Centers and Labor Department headquarters at 1 John Fitch Way, Trenton, is Monday, June 8, 2020.
The Labor Department will continue to monitor the situation closely due to concern for the health and safety of customers and staff.
Web-based services are being offered at nj.gov/labor. Residents are encouraged to check the site often with the latest information on programs, benefits and services for residents and businesses impacted by the virus.
Additionally, Workers’ Compensation hearings are continuing virtually, at this time.
For customers who are having trouble accessing online applications, please be patient. Record volumes of claims have stressed our systems. However, capacity has been added, and dedicated Labor Department staff members are working longer hours and expanding the window of service hours to get benefits into the hands of everyone who deserves them as quickly as possible.
Customers can help this process go as smoothly as possible by doing the following:
- Apply and seek information online whenever possible.
- Visit the website and read about available programs BEFORE applying; applying for the right program will speed the processing of the claim.
- Fill out the application completely – do not leave out required information, which will delay processing of the claim.
- Once an applicant has applied for benefits and received a confirmation message, their claim is being processed as quickly as possible.
- Customers who can’t get through immediately should not worry. Claims are being backdated so no one will lose a week of benefits.
Anyone with questions or concerns is urged to visit our website – nj.gov/labor, which contains valuable information on our programs and benefits, FAQs, an eligibility chart in English and Spanish, online application forms and more.