Garden State Historic Preservation Trust Fund
Historic Site Management Grant
Grant Award: $12,461 (2005)
Grant Recipient: All Saint's Episcopal Church
County: MorrisMunicipality: Millington
Millington was a farming community that developed as a commuter suburb after rail service to Manhattan was established in the early 20th
century. The core of All Saint's was built in 1904 in a style mixing the English Arts and Crafts and Gothic Revival. The church was enlarged in 1919, and again in 1956, each time matching the style of the 1904 core. In 1974, the church deacon, Nancy Hatch Wittig, was one of the Philadelphia Eleven, the first women priests ordained by the U.S. Episcopal Church.
The building now exhibits signs of masonry deterioration and resulting interior water damage. The Trust grant will help fund the preparation of a preservation plan to guide future restoration work.
For more information, visit: http://www.dioceseofnewark.org/allsaints-millington/