Historic Site Management Grant
Capital Preservation Grant Level II
Grant Award: $23,325 (2000); $750,000 (2008); $18,348 (2010) Grant Recipient: Mercer County County: MercerMunicipality: Ewing Township
The Trenton Bath House and Day Camp Pavilions were constructed between 1955 and 1957. Designed by Louis Kahn as part of the Trenton Jewish Community Center, the Bath Houses and Pavilions have become icons of modern architecture and marked an important turning point in Kahn’s career. Kahn is recognized as one of America’s greatest architects and his Bath House is toured by scholars, architects, and other visitors from around the world. The condition of the buildings range from poor to stable.
In 2007 Mercer County purchased the campus from the Jewish Community Center and then transferred ownership to Ewing Township after protecting the property with conservation easements. The Township operates a senior center, pool, day camp, and recreation activities at the site.
The 2010 grant helped fund a detailed maintenance manual for the campus. The 2008 Trust grant helped fund the restoration of the Bath House and two pavilions and the reconstruction of two pavilions that were not salvaged. The 2000 Trust grant helped fund a preservation plan.
For more information, visit: http://kahntrentonbathhouse.org/