Historic Site Management Grant
Grant Award: $14,999.31 (2008) Grant Recipient: Weymouth Township County: AtlanticMunicipality: Weymouth Township
The post office building was constructed in 1918, part of the planned community that was erected to support operations of the nearby munitions plant. In seven months time, the village was fully constructed with homes, businesses and public buildings. After the war, the community was abandoned, and only the post office and fire house remain from that era. The building was adapted for use as a school and community center for many years before it was closed to the public in 2003, with concerns for its structural integrity. The building retains good integrity of historic finishes.
The Trust grant helped fund the preparation of a preservation plan and the study of feasible uses for the structure. The site was listed on the state’s Ten Most Endangered Sites list in 2008.
For more information, visit: http://weymouthhistory.org/