Grant Award: $570,424 (1995) Grant Recipient: Burlington City County: BurlingtonMunicipality: Burlington City
Built in 1839, the Old City Hall is the most prominent Neoclassical Revival building in Burlington City, the one-time capital of West Jersey. Originally constructed as Lyceum Hall for use as a public lecture hall, theater, and cultural center, it was given to the City for municipal use in 1851. In 1910, it was remodeled and stylistically updated by Henry Armitt Brown (architect) and J.E. Kolster (builder).
The City vacated the building in 1991 due to structural problems. The grant funded structural repairs, restoration of interior finishes and features, abatement of asbestos, repair of the foundation and windows, and repainting of the interior and exterior.
For more information, visit: http://thelyceumhall.blogspot.com/