Historic Site Management Grant
Capital Preservation Grant Level II
Grant Award: $50,000 (2000); $205,000 (2004); $33,750 (2010) Grant Recipient: City of Trenton, Department of Natural Resources County: MercerMunicipality: Trenton
The 105-acre Cadwalader Park was designed by the Olmsted firm under the direction of Frederick Law Olmsted, Sr. and is the largest open space in Trenton. In addition to the landscape, the Park has several historic structures including Ellarslie Mansion, an 1848 Italianate style residence that is now the City Museum, two early 20th century vernacular Arts and Crafts style buildings that house the security office and public restrooms, and an 18th century cottage that serves as an administrative office.
The 2010 Trust grant helped fund better interpretation of the park’s history through development of signage and a walking tour, as well as improved regional marketing. A previous capital preservation grant funded the restoration of the public comfort station's brick and stucco exterior, interior terrazzo tile floors and ceramic tile walls. The restoration work is guided by a 2000 Trust-funded management plan for the park's historic resources.
For more information, visit: http://cadwaladerpark.org/