Historic Site Management Grant
Capital Preservation Grant Level II
Grant Award: $50,000 (2001); $416,391 (2002); $412,408 (2008) Grant Recipient: Christ Church of New Brunswick County: MiddlesexMunicipality: New Brunswick
Christ Church is a campus of several structures that reflect multiple expansion campaigns. The 1773 tower (rebuilt in 1803) is the oldest structure and a prominent feature in the city's skyline. In 1852, the prominent ecclesiological architectural team of Wills and Dudley designed the existing Romanesque Revival-style church. Other support structures include the 1874 Romanesque Revival-style parish house and Gothic Revival-style parish house, built in 1897. The church commits to the community by supporting many activities including a food pantry, cultural and educational events, and immigration services.
The 2008 Trust grant helped fund masonry repairs, repointing and structural repairs. A 2002 Trust grant helped fund the first phase of the exterior restoration and repairs to the parish house, slate roof, gutters, wood, stabilization of the north and south gables, and masonry repointing. The preservation plan guiding this project was completed with a 2001 Trust matching grant.
For more information, visit: http://www.christchurchnewbrunswick.org/history-of-the-parish/