Historic Site Management Grant
Grant Award: $25,875 (2009) Grant Recipient: Christ Church, Riverton County: BurlingtonMunicipality: Riverton
The campus consists of three buildings, an 1884 church, earlier rectory and later parish house, all designs attributed to John Fraser and his son, Archibald. Born in Scotland, Fraser established his practice in Philadelphia with partners Furness and Hewitt, but lived in Riverton and was a member of Christ Episcopal Church.
The church features a massive bell tower, tracery and terra cotta decorations. The Shingle/Gothic style parish house originally functioned as a community center, housing a library, gymnasium, theater and bowling alley that were all used by Riverton residents.
The grant helped fund the preparation of a preservation plan that assessed the conditions of the historic buildings and made recommendations for future repairs and improvements. In particular, the plan examined accessibility options for the parish house to increase its use by the congregation and community.
For more information, visit: http://www.christriverton.org/Buildings_And_Grounds.htm