Capital Preservation Grant, Level II
Grant Award: $750,000 (2010) Grant Recipient: Union Congregational Church County: EssexMunicipality: Montclair
The Union Congregational Church was constructed in two building campaigns, the Sanctuary in 1899 following designs of the architectural firm of Cady, Berg & See and inspired by a sketch of a chapel in Surrey England, and an east wing in 1911 by the Philadelphia architectural firm of Price and McLanahan. Both stone buildings are in the Norman-Romanesque style. The church burned in 1975 but was restored to match the original interior truss work.
The congregation hosts a variety of community programs, including the 100-year continous sponsorship of a local scout troop, an after school program for middle-school students, a tutoring endeavor with a Newark school, a program for the temporary homeless, and the church-sponsored preschool.
The Trust grant helped fund masonry restoration of the building, guided by a condition assessment, probes, and investigations.
For more information, visit: http://www.unioncong.org/